Elbow calluses

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by akc, Aug 16, 2017.

1. akc

akc Registered Users

Anyone have a good remedy for elbow calluses? George is obsessed with lying on hard surfaces. He has a crate with a memory-foam mat, a $200 o_O stuffed bed, AND he is allowed on our couches and bed, but he just prefers the cool floor (especially now, in the summer).

As a result, he's developed little calluses on his elbow. I've been trying Vaseline but have not been very regular about applying it - any other tips?

Tori_lizzie likes this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I don't think it causes any harm - its just cosmetic I think, the dogs aren't bothered by them.

3. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel is the same and lies on only hard surfaces most of the time. Grrr. Anyways, I went to the pet store and bought a lotion meant for their pads on their paws. I use it on the elbows and it works really well. Already his calluses are half the size they were a month ago.

I massage the lotion in to each callus at least once a day.

Good luck!

akc, Tori_lizzie and drjs@5 like this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Is it Mushers paw wax?
    I had wondered of that would help.

5. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

No it's actually a locally made lotion in the okanagan by Natures Pet. But last year I used a different lotion for paws and it worked well too. The store told me I could even use coconut oil, well, I tried that and Axel licked it all offo_O so when I ran out of the lotion stick from last year I bought this stuff which works just as well.

I think stuff like Vaseline and wax products would only keep moisture in the skin not add to it, acts more like a barrier. But that's just what I think from personal experience. Where as lotion goes into the pores and moisturizers.

Tori_lizzie likes this.
  6. Tori_lizzie

Tori_lizzie Registered Users

I'd just like to say thanks for this post as I was just about to write one myself. During the summer Max too prefers lying on the hard floor but only on his right side so only one elbow has it

akc likes this.
  7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

All of our Labs have elbow calluses. They don't seem to matter. I actually thought they were expected.

8. akc

akc Registered Users

Yeah, I've wondered whether they are actually a good thing, in that if they get big/hard enough they might cushion his elbows. George sure likes to FLOP down hard on the wood floors.

I also read about the possibility of blisters forming under the calluses and getting infected. But you're right, he doesn't seem bothered by them at this point.... hmm.

9. mcatalao

mcatalao Registered Users

I asked the same to our vet and she said the calluses are normal. She said to put vaseline if they looked crusted or too dry.

akc likes this.