Elderly dog with several ailments

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Molly, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Molly

Molly Registered Users

My 12 year old choc lab has been diagnosed with wear and tear of his spine and was given previcox and gabapentin, I gradually weaned him off gabapentin as I felt there was no improvement and done this with advice from my vet. My poor old dog periodically gets a build up of acid in his stomach which causes him to bring up bile, my vet gave me ranitidine in liquid form to give him but wonder if anyone can advise on something other than this to help him as I am reluctant to carry on with this longterm.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Molly sorry to read about your dog's trouble. I would if I were you consult another Vet.

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

When does he bring the bile up? I only ask because we had a problem with Belle getting up in the middle of the night to bring up bile and the vet suggested we feed her a small snack before bed time which cured her. If that hadn't worked the next solution was to be ranitidine. She didn't need it.

(Her legacy is our current 2 dogs now have a small supper before bed - we couldn't give it to Belle and not Scooby....Scooby & Belle are no longer with us, but subsequent dogs lives have overlapped and so we couldn't break the supper habit :rolleyes:)

4. DizzyDaisy

DizzyDaisy Registered Users

Daisy had this issue for a number of years. What helped it was Pepcid one in morning, and one in early evening. At bedtime she took metaclopromide with a small snack. This stopped the middle of the night bile spit ups.