End of my tether!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Wendy68, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Re: End of my tether!

Thanks for all your feedback. I know we've done it wrong by letting her have the run of the house, she obviously can't differentiate between inside and out. It would help if she gave an indication, but she doesnt. So, moving forward we will confine her to the room we are in when resting, and try and stop her roaming when we are busy doing chores. Also going back to half hourly obs!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=maisiesmomma link=topic=9882.msg143476#msg143476 date=1423858493]

But what you have to look forward to when they do get that signal to go out is that they have got the idea that they can go out when they go to the door and whine…
    [/quote]

Then comes the whining when they just fancy going out for the sake of it ... and learning the difference between that and the 'I really need a wee' whine!

:)

3. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9882.msg143482#msg143482 date=1423861687]
    Thanks for all your feedback. I know we've done it wrong by letting her have the run of the house, she obviously can't differentiate between inside and out. It would help if she gave an indication, but she doesnt. So, moving forward we will confine her to the room we are in when resting, and try and stop her roaming when we are busy doing chores. Also going back to half hourly obs!
    [/quote]

Have you tried a bell on your door? It works wonders as they associate the bell with every time the door opens...it's a clear and discernible sound.
    Sometimes we don't always catch their subtle cues - but they do generally give them. Before my Bella (now 5 months) had the bell on the door figured out....when she had to go...she ran right over to me...sat her little butt down...and STARED at me....and then promptly got up...went a few steps...and squatted to pee. ::) It took a bit to realize it was a pattern, but once we figured it out, then we zoomed her outside very quickly when she did it. Paired with the bell on the door....we figured her out pretty quickly and managed to catch her cues MOST of the time. ;D

Of course, like Boogie says....now we have the ring the bell to just go out and play...and not just for gotta go potty. ::)

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Chepi bangs the cat flap then gives me THE look, when she wants to go out or come in 8)

5. Lee Bell

Lee Bell Registered Users

Hi Wendy just so you know your not alone ,Indy woke up from a nap last night walked into the middle of the room in a daze and wee'd on the floor! I think he was still half asleep as he usually goes to the back door or asks to go out. Things will get better! except for the odd sunday morning lie in Indy is not allowed upstairs yet. Hang in there, I know that feeling! xx

6. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Well not a bad weekend, we have tried really hard restricting her in the house and taking her out every hour, and in three days we have only had one wee in the house. It is down to us, and if we become lazy then she just does it, so we must keep trying!

7. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

You got it

It really is down to us to be vigilant.

The next stage is when you blame yourself when they have an accident.

8. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9882.msg144009#msg144009 date=1424113282]
    Well not a bad weekend, we have tried really hard restricting her in the house and taking her out every hour, and in three days we have only had one wee in the house. It is down to us, and if we become lazy then she just does it, so we must keep trying!
    [/quote]

You hit the nail on the head...in all their training, it's up to us to set them up for success - ensuring they are given the opportunity to do it right. In all training, you have some mis-steps...but you get there eventually.

Hang in there, and glad you had a better weekend! :D

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Users

Hi Wendy

I'm also just popping in to give you moral support and congrats on a good weekend! 8)

Does Izzy like the outside area you've picked for her? I only ask because with Bonnie, I was trying to get her to go the yard which is enclosed instead of my garden (which is separated from my house by a public footpath - very odd, but true!) .... Bonnie much preferred peeing on the carpet to going in the yard but when I started taking her to the garden with nice, soft grass, she quickly picked it up.

I'm sure some pups take longer at things than others and I bet Izzy will just "get it" and then this'll all be a distant memory!

Good luck!

10. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

Wendy, just a little hug fir support, the first day we let bailey in the sitting room at 4 months pooed on carpet!
    Had had no accidents for a week b4 then back to kitchen we went!
    I think up to 5 months our kitchen was the main place, Andre and I had seperate evenings !!!!
    Now 8 months sits peacefully in the evenings!
    It will improve x keep smiling x