endless energy

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by simonD, Sep 9, 2017.

1. simonD

simonD Registered Users

just after comments/advice here. Have had labs on and off all my life, dogs mainly, mainly intact , one had testicle surgically removed, one neutered due extreme sexual dominance (neutering had perfect immediate effect by the way). Our current beautiful boy is 20 months, intact, great condition, lovely temperament and generally under great control. However, I am aware whenever we go out, he has tons more energy than any other dog (and more than any of our previous dogs). He is perfectly calm at home. On country walks in the south downs, he literally is running all day up and down hills - I am sure he would go all night as well. This isn't really a problem just a bit exhausting for me trying to have nice day in the country as well!. I know he must be at his maximum energy levels and hopefully he will calm a bit. The reason for this post is that although we have no plans to neuter him, I would consider it in the future if that may make for a calmer personality. Would be a shame as I am aware of negative effects but at the end of the day I eventually want a calmer dog who will fit in with the rest of the dogs in our sub urban setting, who are mainly neutered and annoyingly often in season bitches - where it nowadays seems to be my responsibility to keep my dog away rather than to keep in season bitches away. Thanks for any comments

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't think neutering your dog will make him any less energetic. I have a neutered cocker spaniel who has unbelievable stamina and will run and run all day long without tiring. That is his nature and only old age will ever change that. But you could try and channel your dog's energy into training, retrieving would be the obvious choice.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi Simon, sounds like you are very experienced with labradors! :) I know some labs are just more energetic than others, I can't see personally how neutering will affect activity levels, you just might end up with a calmer labrador that still needs hours of exercise, as sexual driven behaviours aren't really involved with natural energy levels, unless of course he goes haring off after that bitch! (Been there done that AND got the TShirt..:eek:)

We do have 3 labs, entire bitch, entire boy and a neutered lab. The entire boy has had the Superlorin implant (long acting chemical castration). On each occasion there has been absolutely no change in energy levels (implanted vs non-implanted). Appreciate though this is just anecdotal evidence.

Have you thought of combining his walks with a sport such as gun dog training? I have just come back from a 2.5 hour training session, and my young bitch can barely keep her eyes open. The combination of play and training just wipes her out.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My youngest lab went through this at about the same age. He has got better as I've spent more time training and playing games. My bitch was at her worst at this age so i did agility with her which she enjoyed and improved her responsiveness. I also did some doggy dancing which i found embarrassing with my 2 oldest dogs. The oldest loved it was rubbish at it but he seemed to think he was a gifted dancer. It was so funny and he enjoyed it
    Some owners on the site have also done scentwork which sounds great, i love to find classes close enough for my youngest to attend. I agree with the others find something your dog finds fun which tires him mentally and physically. Ive had both neutered and un neutered males and they both had similar energy levels . He is a fit young male reaching maturity he needs something to channel the energy into.
    I do sympathize with the avoiding bitches in a urban setting I've had it too.I even had to explain to some owners what in season means .

Plum's mum likes this.