Energetic working breed - mind stimulation

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LooneyLuna, Aug 14, 2017.

1. LooneyLuna

LooneyLuna Registered Users

Hi just thought I'd start this post to see if anyone has any good mind stimulating games.
    We have a working breed red fox Lab Retriever.
    Like everyone I had terrible puppy blues but now at 19 weeks I really love my Luna.
    She's soooooo energetic which has stressed me out loads and I hate it when people say "she needs mental stimulation" like I don't do it!

So these are some of the things to stimulate my girl. Please add on any suggestions!

Kongs obviously

Kong wobbler for the garden

Hide her dinner / treats around the garden and tell her to find them. Also hide under pots / under toys.

Treat balls that move around fast and easily - the one I have has an adjustable hole for bigger or smaller treats. So she's getting physical exercise at the same time.

Lay an old bath towel on the floor and lay out her dinner and some nice smelling treats all over it and then roll up and watch her dig at the towel to get treats out. (It takes Luna a good 5mins to get them all out).

Cut holes into empty plastic bottles when you are finished with them, add a handful of treats and let them bat them around to get treats out.

Ive also ordered a snuffle mat that you hide treats inside. A rubber cage ball that I'm going to stuff with fabric and hide treats in that too (it's a good indoor toy as it's soft) and another kong treat dispenser that looks a bit like a UFO! Not sure on the name.

And of course we do training everyday and 2 short walks.

I've also been told that maybe she's not having enough sleep time. She has 8 hours of a night and about 4 during the day. I'm upping this to 8 during the day. So she's awake for 2-3 and then asleep 2-3. Fingers crossed this results in a calmer dog.

Hope this is help to someone xxx

akc likes this.