English Lab: Sudden stubborness during hike

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by AlanM, Jun 17, 2018.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I don't envy you at all it must make walks really stressful :( All I have to think about are squirrels, rabbits, hare, deer and birds nothing that will kill my dogs. An Adder can kill a dog but I think that's it in the UK. Stay safe x

AlanM likes this.
  2. AlanM

AlanM Registered Users

Thanks! I love the ideal of hiking off-leash; I wish it were safer. I'm personally hoping to retire in a few years outside southern CA. If we get away from the desert heat we will also get away from the critters that live in it :).

selina27, charlie and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

@AlanM , it certainly does sound like a training challenge, but I guess it's better safe than sorry.

@charlie, yes, I think a stop whistle would help me, but I have been working on the zone of control again so she doesn't get too far away from me. I just like doing the training anyway!

I have got a bit stuck with the stop whistle because the method I was following talks about using the retrieve as the reward at a distance, and Cassie's retrieving is taking a bit of softly softly approach to really get going again I'm reluctant to throw stop into the mix. So I've only got as far as using stop whistle in heel position. Any ideas?

Apologies @AlanM , gone off topic a bit.

AlanM likes this.
  4. AlanM

AlanM Registered Users

Please don't apologize. I haven't progressed to stops yet. I'd like to hear how this works!

selina27 likes this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You're right not to use a retrieve as a reward if you are building up the desire. Have you thought about using a mat or place board if you have one? I use a mat, firstly using it only a few meters away, sending Charlie to it and as his butt hits the mat I blow my 'stop' whistle. I have gradually moved the distance and varied the position round my garden. I go to him to treat him or sometimes I throw him a treat whilst still on it. Hope that helps but I'm sure someone experienced will give you better advice :) x

selina27 likes this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Thanks @charlie , that is helpful. I only have a small garden, but I can start there. She knows go to mat :)

charlie likes this.
  7. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @AlanM, I was just catching up with some of my FB groups when I read about a trainer, Jamie Robinson, who trains dogs to avoid snakes using only force-free methods. Her website is www.playyourwayobedience.com :)

AlanM and SwampDonkey like this.
  8. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

Fully agree. We only have adders to contend with on our patch and they skulk around in bushes, between rocks and in holes. When out and about, I'm always scanning the area in front of our boy, trying to second-guess where he might sniff and where snakes might be. It doesn't make for relaxing dog walking during the summer. I don't envy your rattlers. :eek:

AlanM and selina27 like this.
  9. AlanM

AlanM Registered Users

Thanks! I'll take a look!

10. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

Hello
    Just putting my thoughts out there.
    Our 5 year old lab can be an absolute nightmare to recall if she has found something better than me or the treat in question. We have to frequently change the treats given so they don’t have any idea of what they’ll be getting. Sometimes works, somethings doesn’t.

Total Recall is a very good read. Really recommend it.

All I can stress is positive reward and reinforcement, despite how much at your wits end you are. Shock collar :( big no no x