Enzo's clicker training.... Here goes nothing

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sim, Jul 3, 2016.

1. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

He is so handsome! So training is going well? How old is he now again?

2. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Enzo is doing very well, he's coming upto 6 months now. He listens great when it's just us with no other strangers or doggy distractions, he's eager to play with other dogs at the moment though so will pull towards them when On the lead.

Here's a video of his first encounter with a bed of loose autumn leaves, wayyy to much excitement :)

(Could a moderator possibly move this thread to the doggy update and tracking thread That is not so related to training please )

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

He's just bursting with joy!

Sim likes this.
  4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Lovely! What a happy pupster! I noticed a couple of really good check ins from Enzo, despite his high excitement. I would have been tempted to click for those and thrown a bit of sausage/similar, then released him back to play :)

Sim likes this.
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Lovely to see a dog enjoying life, it is what we should all be doing :D

Sim and Pilatelover like this.
  6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

He is having a great time :D

Sim likes this.
  7. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Great video I love to see dogs happy and playful :heart:

Sim likes this.
  8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

What a great video!!! Enzo, you lucky dog.....to be so free!!! And loving it!

Sim likes this.
  9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Lovely to see him so full of beans!

Sim likes this.
  10. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

What a delight to watch! Very few deciduous trees in Wellington, I'm getting leaf-envy.

Sim likes this.
  11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

And with a swirl of the magic cape Enzo is now doing zoomies in Labrador Chat!

The video is great ,we left the UK at the beginning of September but I think we will try and stay for Autumn next year just to give Dex the chance to do zoomies in the leaves ! X

Sim likes this.
  12. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Really????.....leaf-envy???Please come and visit me......all oaks and maples!!! You can rake until the cows come home in the Fall and leaves are still on the ground in Spring!!! Thanks goodness for leaf-blowers......we used to have to rake these things!!!!Not giving you a hard time....just thought it was funny that someone could have leaf-envy.....

13. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

You know how it is, mundane things like leaves, fox poo, squirrels etc are exotic when you don't have them!

Stacia likes this.
  14. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Thanks all for such lovely replies. Yes, he is an amazingly happy dog and growing up so loving with a loving temperament.

He had his 6month check at the vets yesterday and all was great :)
    Was told to watch his weight as he is the high side of ok at 24kg but he looks fine to me.

Not sure if I've mentioned in this thread that his jaw was quite undershot as a pup, it's still not perfect but growing into ok at the moment, fingers crossed this goes well.

I want to start training him to run along side me now while jogging, I've been afraid to so far because I didn't want to cause harm to his joints at such a young age, do you think 6 months is ok to start training this and what kind of distance would be ok?

And lastly but not at all least, thanks @Dexter for moving the thread somewhere more appropriate

15. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Standard most upto date pic of the 2 little guys to accompany above post...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
    Cath, Beanwood, samandmole and 2 others like this.
  16. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Having a mare with these photos lol

17. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Fixed the photo for you :)

As for running, it depends what you're going to be doing. On lead or off lead, on what type of surface?

Running on lead on hard ground puts a lot of strain on a dog's joints. It's nowhere near as bad if he's allowed to pick his own pace (so off lead) but matching your pace will put him at a completely unnatural speed for a dog, so this should be kept to a minimum until he's at least a year of age. I've recently started jogging with my two, and I just have them mooching around me, generally a little in front, then they stop for a sniff, so I run past and they catch me up once they're done. I do lots of throwing treats and cones as I go to reward checking in and keep them close to me, but I don't ask them to stay at heel for long periods. Willow offers a heel quite a lot, though, and I can see what an awkward pace my running pace is for her.
    I generally run on mountain bike trails, which are very varied as far as pitch and surface are concerned, so it's not such repetitive movements as if you were running on pavements or through a park, for example.

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Two very handsome young men.

Sim likes this.
  19. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Lovely photo of both of them! What fun....both growing up together!!! Great bond.

Sim likes this.
  20. Sim

Sim Registered Users

@snowbunny thanks for sorting the photo :)

Also for the great info re running with Enzo, to be honest I was going to start on hard ground with him on the lead, I hadn't thought of his natural pace being so out of sync with mine so I'm sooo glad I asked here!
    I think my plan from here would be to take him to the mountain local to me that will be a mix of gravel track and grass and jog at my pace and like you said, leave him off the lead to do his own thing but follow me :) thank you so much for the info!!!

snowbunny likes this.