Epilepsy medication for Labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Rook's Mum, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Rook's Mum

Rook's Mum Registered Users

Hi, I cant find any of my previous post so I will start a new thread. My 2 year old black lab started with seizures in April, she had 5 in April and has steadily gone on higher and higher doses if Epiphen, she went 6 weeks without one and we hoped we were getting on top of them, she had another on 2 June when they put up the meds again so she was on 180mg a day, she has had another 3 in the last 12 days and the vets phoned to say her levels were fine. They are now introducing Bromide but I thought it was supposed to be one or the other we have been told that she will stay on the epiphen as well, does anyone have experience of this ?

2. Mason's mom

Mason's mom Registered Users

So sorry that you are going through this. My dog Sam had epilepsy since he was about 2 and recently passed away at the ripe old age of 11. With epilepsy, unfortunately it may take several drugs to control the seizures. In the end, Sam was on 4 different medications including Potassium Bromide. Sam was a hard to control case, but hopefully your dog will not require as many drugs to control the seizures. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck to you!