Equafleece

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Penny+Me, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I've been waiting for ages to buy Penny an equafleece. I measured her up before I headed off to crufts and bought her a lovely purple jumper. Would have liked the whole baby grow style one but with her hips I didn't think she would like me pulling her back legs about to put them into sleeves!

Anyway I got back home and tried it on her and I think it's too small. Does anyone have an equafleece, how did you find the sizing? It was ok getting it on her but getting it off was a bit tricky. I'm totally surprised, if anything I thought it would have been too big.

I'm not sure whether to send it back and get the bigger size (for an extra £5 + however much it will cost for postage) or whether to keep this one and hope it stretches out a bit through use.

Anyone help?

2. hd

hd Registered Users

Re: Equafleece

I saw these at crufts. They look quite similar to the hotter dog I bought for eevee dog before going up north. Shes 17.5kg and in a large. Irs v bug on her but wanted extra room for growth as am determined she will!

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I had a picture of Lilly in her Hotterdog fleece on a previous thread. We bought a large and I see her measurements are here
    Lilly's Fleece
    Not sure if this helps.
    We get it on okay but coming off I found it better just pulling it off over her head and down her legs.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

What size did you get Lauren? I'm going to get one for Meg (small cocker) for next winter and was thinking of getting medium. Heidrun might know if they stretch as I think she has some for her dogs.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Can I ask a question ??? Why are you putting fleeces on your dogs? :)

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=4816.msg60014#msg60014 date=1394486141]
    Can I ask a question ??? Why are you putting fleeces on your dogs? :)
    [/quote]

For Charlie, to look cool by the pool. 8) I hope his wonderwoman fleece will be ready soon...

[​IMG]
    surf dog by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wish I looked that cool by the pool 8) ;D

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I bought a fleece as I thought it would help with the task of keeping Lilly clean.
    We were going through a particularly bad fox poo phase at the time. I thought it would be easier popping the fleece in the wash rather than the dog.
    Its amazing however how they can manipulate the desired odour underneath the high neck ::)

Best use I find is for drying after a shower and after hydrotherapy - the latter particularly for winter chilly days.

9. Penny+Me

The equafleeces are particularly warm and one of my vet friends said keeping Penny warm may help reduce incidences of stiffness after exercise. I already had a regular coat for her (waterproof hi vis for the dark winter nights) but wanted something with a bit of warmth in too. They are also meant to be water repellent and also good for if your dog has been for a swim (river, sea, hydrotherapy etc) you can put them on for the journey home, it will keep the dog warm and also draw the moisture away from the body so they dry off quicker.

Penny is in a 24" dog jumper. It fits well around the neck and chest but comes about 1-2 inches short of the base of the tail, it's also tight taking it off and getting her legs in the leg holes.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

11. Penny+Me

I just watched them.

Putting the fleece on an older dog method seems like a good way, it never occurred to me to put the feet in first - think I'll give it a to trying it on her tomorrow, and taking it off like it the video too, she made it look so easy. If its still difficult like that I think I'll send it back and get the 26" one.

Might remeasure her too and make sure I got them right.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly finds it easier if she is kind of leaning against me when I lift her front paws in too.
    x

13. pippa@labforumHQ

I want a fleece for Meg to put on her at the end of the shoot day. She is eleven now and no matter how much you rub them down, you can never get a dog completely dry at the end of the day. So the dog has to sit in the car, damp, all the way home. I just thought it might be nice to treat the old lady to a woolly jumper :)

I would have done it this winter, but Rachael was still a bit of a chewer at the beginning of the season, and I thought that it would probably be thoroughly nibbled by the time we got home.

If you have to run a dog hard without much time for a good warm up, e.g. in a trial, it is not a bad idea to 'rug' them beforehand, to keep their muscles warm

14. hd

hd Registered Users

I bought one because I was staying in holiday accommodation with little space and no matter how much you wipe them down, theyre still dirty. Put her in this for an hour and she was lovely and toasty and tge cottage stayed clean.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We can do the showers and power dryers at Hydro now (the power dryers are fab, you can see the water being driven off Charlie's coat in a fine spray, even when you think it's nearly dry - they are super powerful and very, very, noisy though) but before we could manage the dryers the fleece was essential, I think. Even in the time it took for us to walk to reception and pay the bill, it would have got lots of dampness out of Charlie's coat.

Unless we take some steps to get properly dry - dryer than just rubbing with a towel can achieve - Charlie can still be damp 6 or 7 hours after a hydro session, and since we used to do so many I was worried he'd never really be dry between sessions. Which can lead to skin problems.

16. Indy

Indy Registered Users

17. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here are Ziggy and Murffi in their jumpers. [​IMG]

Ziggy's is a Hotter Dog size L and Murffi's is an Equafleece, can't quite remember the size but will go and measure it later. I believe they are made by the same company but the Hotter Dog ones are A little cheaper but the fleece is not as good a quality as the Equafleece. I think for Murffi and the girls I will buy sleeveless ones next time they need a new jumper because I find the sleeves a little too long and it is easy for the dog to trip up. I put them on the dogs after work during the shooting season and it keeps them lovely and warm on the drive home, plus it cuts down on the drying time. I have had mine for a couple of years and they have been washed and tumble dried many times but are still in perfect condition.

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Soggy and Murffi look so adorable :) :) :)

Think I might look into one as Harley hates the hair dryer and also hates being towel dried ???

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Muffi in a blue jumper! :* :* :* How cute is that? I like him in blue.

Naya - I don't think normal hairdryers are much good anyway. Not for a big Lab with a thick coat. We started off using a normal hairdryer (there are a range to choose from at the hydro place, to suit all dogs) - it was so funny, Charlie bounced round the drying shed at a billion miles an hour! But only in order to move onto to the super powerful blowers which really can effectively dry Charlie in a few minutes. He is not super, super keen, but I've given him enough treats in bribes so he'll now sit still. Well, still-ish.

I am seriously thinking now of investing in a pro dog hair dryer - it is so handy to be able to get a dog completely dry in a few minutes:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ATOM-PET-Professional-Dog-Dryer/dp/B0054NZ9HM

20. pippa@labforumHQ

Would be interested to know Murffi's size Heidrun, when you have a moment. That would probably do for Meg.

I'd also be interested in your thoughts on the dryer Julie, if you get one.