Equafleece

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Penny+Me, Mar 10, 2014.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Equafleece

I don't like the idea of dogs in clothes really, but I do understand using them for working dogs that need to be kept warm :)

2. Jules

Jules Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=4816.msg60679#msg60679 date=1394736582]
    I don't like the idea of dogs in clothes really,
    [/quote]

I'm the same, believe it or not 8) .

I'd not take the two Labs out in their jumpers, they are purely for in the car and the home to warm them up after a freezing cold swim. I went for the jumper style coat, purely because my Black girl has ED and Arthritis in her elbows, so it's important to warm those bits up and keep them warm until she's dry. The Yellow girl just got a jumper style coat, because the first one I ordered was too small for the black girl, but it fitted her nicely. It saved on the postage, of sending it back and reordering a normal horse rug style coat (I'm a cheapskate ;) ).

I have three Poodles too and they only ever wear the horse style rug coats and that's only when I've just clipped them off close and it's freezing out. I much prefer my dogs as nature intended....Naked! ;D

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How were working dogs kept warm before the invention of Equafleece?

I have Hattie a Labradoodle and when she's clipped she doesn't wear a coat and it can get very cold :)

4. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=charlie link=topic=4816.msg60696#msg60696 date=1394741533]

I have Hattie a Labradoodle and when she's clipped she doesn't wear a coat and it can get very cold :)
    [/quote]

People would put straw or newspaper in the back of their cars for the dogs to hunker down on the drive home after work. I would rug up a horse after work or when it is cold and wet outside, so why not a dog? If you go to a field trial you will see most dogs wearing a coat of some sort when the weather is foul. Especially in spaniel trials the dogs have to hang around for ages waiting for their run. It is important to conserve their energy by keeping them warm and dry. These dogs have to go from 0 to 100 mph in seconds without warming up so their handlers will make sure they are warm before their run.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've never seen Charlie look cold - ever. Maybe I will in a colder winter.

I've got fleeces though, because the hydro people tell me that it's not good for a dog to stay wet - they can get "hot spots". I have no real idea what those are, but they don't sound good. They particularly warned me about putting a wet collar on him for the journey home (after the dog is dried) and they ask owners to remove collars and keep them dry, using the plastic ones provided instead.

Mind, these are the people that put labradors in life jackets to check they can swim before they are allowed free in the pool. I think they are very careful...

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I never really thought Riley got cold until we started doing training in wet weather, when he was tired after training he seemed to get cold more easily like he didn't have enough energy left to stay warm.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=4816.msg60712#msg60712 date=1394743752]
    [quote author=charlie link=topic=4816.msg60696#msg60696 date=1394741533]

[/quote]

People would put straw or newspaper in the back of their cars for the dogs to hunker down on the drive home after work. I would rug up a horse after work or when it is cold and wet outside, so why not a dog? If you go to a field trial you will see most dogs wearing a coat of some sort when the weather is foul. Especially in spaniel trials the dogs have to hang around for ages waiting for their run. It is important to conserve their energy by keeping them warm and dry. These dogs have to go from 0 to 100 mph in seconds without warming up so their handlers will make sure they are warm before their run.
    [/quote]

I do understand owners putting coats on working dogs for the reasons you state, it's other dogs wearing clothes/fleeces for no particular reason, I can't understand it.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=4816.msg60726#msg60726 date=1394745964]
    I do understand owners putting coats on working dogs for the reasons you state, it's other dogs wearing clothes/fleeces for no particular reason, I can't understand it.
    [/quote]

Wait 'till you see Charlie's wonder woman fleece. With optional cape. I know what you are thinking. "What's optional about a cape on a wonder woman outfit?". Totally agree.

( ;D ;D ;D )

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

;D ;D ;D ;D

10. bbrown

Lasoo and invisible plane come with that too?

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=4816.msg60736#msg60736 date=1394747174]
    Lasoo and invisible plane come with that too?
    [/quote]

Hope so!

12. bbrown

Perfect! Trips away in the plane with the dogs then? ;D

13. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I have to say i am not one for dressing up dogs at all, but I don't like the thought of Penny being cold or damp after a walk. Because of where we live, in the winter when it's dark it's not possible to take her tithe park so she can't keep warm by running around, we have to stick with street walking. Her coat is mostly practical - hi vis for the dark and waterproof, but I wanted a fleece because she absolutely loves to swim, even in the winter (she went swimming in the river on Xmas day!) and as others have said its difficult to get a dog totally dry. It's not so bad if we are straight back into the house as well ramp the heating up, but if we have a car journey to get home it gets pretty chilly!

14. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Can't say I like the look of the Equafleece, it would be awkward to put on and off a wet / muddy Lab.
    Much prefer the reversable ones with quick release tabs.

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Beautiful dogs, Jules :)

And I love the doggie/motorcycle dryer review, Julie. It looks like a small spacecraft.... :)

We have one of the 'legless' Equafleeces and the only negative about it is that it tends to creep back and back and then become a bit tight around the neck. People with the 'legged' ones - do you find that happening with yours?

16. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've got the polo neck /mid-leg version and had a zip put up the back from neck to rump. Getting them on and off is now a breeze (thought I would have to cut it off Tarka when I tried them on the first time!). I just love them for wet muddy dogs after a day out - warm and dry by the time they get home, no muddy spatter marks up the walls in the house, bliss for all.

17. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

This is a very interested thread especially with other people's views on the subject.

although we did not get any snow here this winter, it got very cold, which made barley's legs worse and we considered getting him a fleece for walks as he would refused to walk unless he had a coat and this is the dog that hates wearing coats and will freeze when wearing one, but during the colder weeks of winter it was the other way round. He had at the time 2 coats, one waterproof the other warm but did not fit him as he had grown out of it, we resorted to using his microfiber towel and putting that under the waterproof coat to make it nice and warm for him. As this was not very practical we looked at alternatives. What we ended up doing was purchasing a cheap horse fleece rug (£5 from aldi when they had them in) and made him a coat out of that, it does not fit him perfectly but it will do as it keeps him warm. This at the time was a much more practicle and cheaper option.

Now as we know that his joints are not going to get any better and the cold will not help we have been considering getting him an equafleece jumper as it will cover his front legs more, but we will consider this later in the year towards winter time as a lot can happen in a 8 or so months

18. Jules

Jules Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=4816.msg60793#msg60793 date=1394777678]

We have one of the 'legless' Equafleeces and the only negative about it is that it tends to creep back and back and then become a bit tight around the neck. People with the 'legged' ones - do you find that happening with yours?
    [/quote]

I haven't found mine have crept in any direction. The girls love wearing them (which really surprised me) and are happy to snooze the afternoon away with them on, so I presume they are comfortable. When you slip your hand underneath the jumper, it's all toasty in there too, like sticking your cold hands into the neck end of your horse's rug...Lovely :D

19. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I've just sent mine back to get a bigger size so will post some photos when that one arrives, I can't wait.

I've had a couple donated to the kennels when I worked there and they were great especially for the short coated breeds like staffies to keep them warm in the kennels.

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Just chiming in....if there's one thing I could possibly be an expert in, it's dogs and cold! ::)

I have been walking with Simba pretty much every day this winter, in temperatures ranging from 0C to -35C, and colder, if you factor in wind chill. Also in those temps in snow.

Interestingly enough, he has never shown overt signs of being cold, like shivering, even in those extreme temps, and I do keep a close eye on him. Obviously we don't go out longer than about 20 minutes in those extreme temps, it's too cold for ME never mind him. :p

However, when it has been really, really, cold, he will start to feel it in his feet....lifting up a paw (always a back one) and hopping along a few steps. But that has only happened a few times all winter, and only in the very cold.

The other times I know he's feeling the cold is when we round the corner into our cul-de-sac and he suddenly will be jumping and straining at the leash, eager to get in. No more eager than I, trust me.

Honestly, there are dogs that live outside ALL the time here, summer and winter, on farms and acreages. They have to have some kind of shelter, be it the barn or heated dog house, but they do survive just fine.

I do see the point with the coats for dogs getting cold and wet, and working. That's a bad combination.