Estate with low tailgate for labs who don't like jumping into a Golf with a lip!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by NickyW, May 10, 2016.

1. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

I've just looked at in in Autotrader... know what you mean. Solid reliable and smart in its own way, but ... well, not that stylish...and yet, if it gets you out of boggy fields and does all you need it to, I guess you might perhaps learn to love it a little bit? ;):D There is something I just love about the old Merc Estates, but I guess some people would think they're clumpy and old-fashioned. Something about a Merc maybe? Looked at the Audi Avant, but didn't do it for me... my late brother had a BMW 3 series Touring, so have a soft spot for it. How am I EVER going to make a decision? Of course, I don't have lottery funds available, so it'll probably come down to cost and what's available.

JulieT likes this.
  2. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Perhaps you could look at a Peugeot 5008. We had a Volvo 850 for fifteen years until it became too expensive to run. It took us up and down to Scotland with two dogs (and then three!), their beds and our luggage and was very comfortable but heavy on fuel. We eventually changed to the Peugeot, which is much cheaper to run and has managed the long journeys with five people, two labs and the luggage!

NickyW likes this.
  3. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Ours has been back for remedial tweaking, and has a clean bill of health. This is the second Zafira we've owned, and they are very versatile cars, easy to drive and park, and pretty economical too!

NickyW likes this.
  4. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Thank you, Granca...other people have suggested a Peugeot, and I was all set to include it in my search, but my local garage man suggested avoiding French cars! Not sure whether he's got a thing against the French or whether it's based on experience... assume on experience. He said they're not that reliable, but clearly yours is, so it's very easy to hear something (like the Zafira catching fire!) and be put off. I'll include the Peugeot it in my search.:)

5. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

They look good cars. I was amazed at how much space there seemed inside, and good to know that they're economical to run. Unlike some of the heavier Mercs/BMWs/Volvos, I imagine. Sometimes there is just too much choice! :confused:

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I drive a golf with a high lip indeed. Finn jumps in quite easily. When Euan was alive he was not able to jump in, I put him at the floor of the front passenger seat. That worked very wel.
    My OH drives a Renault espace, no problem for both our dogs at that time.

I wanted to buy a golf sportsvan. That car doesn't have a high lip, and looks on the inside as an estate, but on the outside moe like a suv. He is a bit broader and larger then the VW golf.

Annemarie

NickyW likes this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Have to say, I'm still loving my Astra Estate. I find it comfortable. It's not put a foot/wheel wrong, the dogs still like it (I think). I've found it surprisingly manoeuvrable in a tiny-weeny, tight car park this evening. It does need washing now though...46mpg not too bad :)

NickyW likes this.
  8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've had Peugeot's, Citroens and Renaults with out any problems. At last count we are on our 6th Renault and the only reason I didn't go Renault for my runaround after arriving back from France was that I wanted something different for a change.

NickyW likes this.
  9. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

I'm still using a step for the girls to climb onto and then into the boot from the step. It works brilliantly, but the step is big and unwieldy to carry around, though stable enough for them to feel confident using it. I have read that it's not such a good plan to allow labradors to jump from a height (out of the boot) onto tarmac, because of their tendency towards ligament problems, which was another reason for changing the car to something with a lower tailgate and bigger boot (currently only doing short journeys). There's masses of food for thought in everyone's posts... just currently don't have time to get out and look at cars, but thanks for your thoughts.

10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I introduced one of the ramps for Juno for in and out of the car rather than allowing her to jump when she was around 5 months old and getting to big and heavy for me to lift - note to self MUST get ramp out of garage and back in car :) I bought it through Amazon. Although it takes space on the back seat I could unfold and fold with one hand while holding Juno's lead if necessary. :)

11. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Update! I have now changed the Golf for a Volvo 50. I seemed to spend so long looking at all sorts of cars, being fixated on the height of the tailgate from the ground... I'm sure lots of car salesmen wondered at my priorities! Time was running out as we're due to take the girls on holiday next month, so the pressure was on! My eye was taken by a rather fetching Orange Flame Metallic five year old Volvo V50 which had only done 33,500 miles. No idea why I was so drawn to it... perhaps it was meant for me! The kids think I'm going through a mid-life crisis, but it's great... you certainly don't lose it in a car park, which is a big plus :) It runs well, and has all we need, but the major bonus is that the girls can easily jump in to the boot and lie down comfortably. So I'm quite chuffed with it... and you'd be amazed at how many orange cars are actually out. I reckon I'm a trend-setter! :)

Thanks to you all who offered thoughts on your own experiences. It was really helpful, and I feel I've done a thorough job :)

bbrown and Cath like this.
  12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

could you post the height of the tailgate - I'm sure this thread will be useful to others in future.

(OH had/has a thing about orange cars - he had an orange Twingo! What a contrast it was to his Toyota Hilux)

13. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

I've just seen this post again, Juliet. Ha ha... I've ended up with a Volvo too!! The Volvo 50 is a bit less boxy than the bigger versions, but choosing orange... well, there's no hope, is there? :)

14. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Off the top of my head it's about 22-23 inches from the ground to the boot entrance. No lip, and that has seemed important for my girls. Also, whereas the tailgate Golf hatchback is 28 inches from the ground, there is also a far less deep boot, so that put them off. Personally, I think orange is the new silver!! :)

15. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well we will see you coming :D

NickyW likes this.
  16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Nope....:D:D:D

Volvos - yuk. But, the most practical things out there when it comes to dogs. :rolleyes:

NickyW likes this.
  17. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Wow, I could have really used this thread last summer when I was looking for a car for my boy Brogan! Just adding here what I ended up with in case it can help someone else with that big (or in this case "little") car decision.

I ended up with a Honda Jazz (aka Fit in the US). It's tiny outside but has "magic seats" in the back that fold up and leave the entire back open for a very big dog (or a full sized refrigerator, depending on your need). Plus they are only stepping up to the height of the floor of the car, not the hatchback or boot, so only a few inches. My old boy picked it out as he could get in and out 100% of the time without any help. He loved it! :)

NickyW likes this.
  18. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Sounds just what you need Emily. I sometimes need the back seats, so didn't look at cars with that option, but good to know in case there's anyone else out there with a very big dog... or two!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  19. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

The seats don't leave the car, they just flip up and down in less than a second between "fit for a doggie king" and "ready for humans". But more suited to someone like me who usually just has doggie passengers vs. kids. :)

NickyW likes this.
  20. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Sounds well-thought-out.. good to have all this info, and hope it will be helpful for anyone else looking to change their car for a more dog-friendly car.