Exercise requirements for labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by jackson12, Jan 3, 2019.

1. jackson12

jackson12 Registered Users

Hi, we're thinking of having a labrador puppy and wanted to ask for views on how much exercise they need each day? I work from home so can be around most of the time, my husband works full time and we have a 13 month old. We have owned a dog previously for 10 years went to rainbow bridge just before our baby was born but we've never had a lab before. The litter we're looking at has working lab heritage.

2. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

There's talk here of some formula for length of exercise and age. I generally ignored the rule as I learned my pup was a much happier pup with more strenuous exercise. Just know every dog is different and so are their needs. Now that mine is 3 we've settled into a routine of 2 walks a day -in the AM and later in PM before dinner. Total mileage about 3-4 miles that includes a bit of ball chasing. I never need to look at the clock because he reminds me when it's time.

3. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Lab puppies can be very full on and are known for being very ‘nippy’ with their teeth in the early weeks. They really do require a lot of attention as well as frequent trips outside for the toilet - I struggled a lot in the first few months and I would have lost my mind if I’d had a 13 month old baby too! I’m not trying to be negative but it’s a whole new ball game caring for a baby and a pup rather than a baby and a settled adult dog.

Exercise-wise: the rule of thumb, once they’ve had their jabs, is 5 mins per day per month of their life. Labs can be prone to hip and elbow problems so excessive exercise including jumping, twisting, hard running, can effect their joints, especially when they are young and developing. There may be some information about this on the main site.
    (There is also a table giving ideas as to what you should consider at each age but I don’t know where I saw it).

Some people follow the 5 min rule to the letter, others are more relaxed. If they’re bimbling about in the park off lead, sniffing and pottering at their own pace they can probably walk for a bit longer. Walking on lead on hard pavements can be pressure on their joints so a shorter walk is better for them.

My dog is two now and she gets two walks a day and probably has about an hour and a half divided into two walks, give or take, with sometimes a bit more at the weekend.

Labs are intelligent dogs and also respond well to short training sessions at home which can stimulate their brains and wear them out.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.