Extinction of the dog waste bin!!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by KeeperTony44, Jan 28, 2015.

1. KeeperTony44

KeeperTony44 Registered Users

Good Evening to a friendly community whom both myself and Bud like to class as friends.

Just venting a little fury, and wondering if other dog owners are experiencing the same.

As i begin to extend Bud's journeys, i have started to realise that the number of dog waste bins are bordering on zero! With the exception of one that is two minutes walk away from our home, we have not come across another throughout the duration of our walks/runs. Considering that a part of Bud's exercise is a park area, i am astounded that this location alone doesn't have one solitary bin designed for dog waste (and yet there are litter bins scattered in every direction one casts their eyes.)

I actually take great pride in bagging up the waste Bud kindly shares because it makes me feel like i am showing respect to the public, and taking responsibility for environmental hygiene. What i don't really appreciate is carrying said waste with me for the rest of the journey until nearly home. It isn't much fun running with Bud with a bag of poo flapping about in my hand. Kinda ruins the enjoyment a little.

Anyone else with a similar gripe?

Take care everyone.

Tony (and a sleepy Bud)x

2. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Re: Extinction of the dog waste bin!!!!

So sorry to hear about your experiences. I have to say, I can't fault my own Council though - lots of dog bins in parks and even right up on the heathland. Probably no chance of changing the situation where you are, but I think it's possible to get little 'pods' to put the offending bag in and keep the smell from seeping out, which might work :)

3. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

You will be horrified to hear that we don't have any designated dog waste bins in (my part of) Canada, not even in our dog parks. I've never even heard of a waste bin specifically designated for dog do… here we just bag it up and put it in whatever city trash can you come across next on your walk.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

5. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

[quote author=maisiesmomma link=topic=9700.msg140215#msg140215 date=1422468211]
    You will be horrified to hear that we don't have any designated dog waste bins in (my part of) Canada, not even in our dog parks. I've never even heard of a waste bin specifically designated for dog do… here we just bag it up and put it in whatever city trash can you come across next on your walk.
    [/quote]

Same here in Idaho...we just bag and pop into the nearest out door trash can I can find...and if I can, I take it to a big dumpster in an ally.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Some trash bins locally have been changed to also be used for dog poo. On some of our walks there are quite a few, but in other places there are none ::) very frustrating ???

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

8. KeeperTony44

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=9700.msg140216#msg140216 date=1422468234]
    Try this!

http://www.dickybag.com/
    [/quote]

Absolutely fantastic (i had not been aware of these at all.) Appreciated.

9. KeeperTony44

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9700.msg140218#msg140218 date=1422468600]
    Some trash bins locally have been changed to also be used for dog poo. On some of our walks there are quite a few, but in other places there are none ::) very frustrating ???
    [/quote]

Haven't noticed our trash bins changed in any way. Have emailed our council though for an explanation. Hope Harley and yourselves are doing well. :)

10. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Are you not meant to put dog poo in normal bins?!? There is only one actual dog poo bin around 5 mins walk from here but there is a normal litter bin closer. I use either depending which is closest when murphy goes!

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We just have normal bins too. I just put bagged poop in the normal rubbish bin, along with all the other rubbish :)

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

No dog waste bins where I walk. I pick it up and take it home!

13. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Dog waste bins have also disappeared where I live but you can now actually put dog waste in regular rubbish bins so that's probably why.

14. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Lots of bins of all forms in our town :) Although I totally lost control of Inca this evening when she suddenly dashed off across the park after a squirrel just as I was busy focussing on bagging. Definitely taking advantage of the situation!

15. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Lots of dog poo bins in my area. But I have two observations: the first is that I saw a woman bring all of her dog poo from her home to put in a public dog poo bin thus saving her own bin; the second is I saw a woman taking her poo home but tied it to the outside of the car door handle to stop stinking out the car - it did look a bit odd bouncing away as she drove off.

16. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We only have one dog poo bin in the whole of the village and it is tiny! About five inches square, standing the height of a normal bin. Useless! Of course, over here pretty much no-one picks up after their dogs, which is something that disgusts me, but the council have finally started to put up signs saying they'll fine people who don't. Anyway, we have communal bins for regular rubbish every hundred metres of so along our roads, and they're emptied every day, so I just pop it in the closest one of those. It's certainly no worse than the babies' nappies that end up in there!

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=9700.msg140292#msg140292 date=1422488302]
    Lots of dog poo bins in my area. But I have two observations: the first is that I saw a woman bring all of her dog poo from her home to put in a public dog poo bin thus saving her own bin; the second is I saw a woman taking her poo home but tied it to the outside of the car door handle to stop stinking out the car - it did look a bit odd bouncing away as she drove off.
    [/quote]

Haha! What if the bag split from all the bouncing action?! :D

17. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Until this thread I had never ever heard of separate bins for dog poo. And I think it's hilarious to think of people collecting and taking their poo elsewhere to 'save their bin'. I mean, it's a flipping rubbish bin, not a Chippendale sideboard ;D

Jane, that is a scream, the person who tied the poo to the car door handle ;D Truth outdoes fiction yet again.

19. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

I know people who hang poo bags on their back windscreen wiper. I just put them in the footwell if there isnt a bin before we drive home. Its just a bit smelly!

20. KeeperTony44

Thanks everyone for your comments, some raising eyebrows in astonishment. I really cannot believe that there are people out there who will travel to a far off bin instead of using there very own at home.

My council are sending out a Street Scene Officer to confirm my findings, and then will be reporting back to me themselves to further address this issue. Given that so many of the comments on my thread show that the normal litter bins can be used for dog waste, and that our own rubbish bins for items not recyclable can also be used for the same waste, i do wonder why dog waste bins were even introduced.

Will be investing in a Dickie Bag very soon which will make our walks out a lot more pleasant from my perspective.

To end this thread, two additional little messages i want to add that are not connected to the theme of my thread:-

Fiona...thank you so very much for being there to help me get back onto this site when i inadvertently forgot my password.

Bud loves snow - he had his longest walk on the white stuff this morning which i am sure he will mention in his diary at some point.

Thanks again all.

Tony