Extreme high reward treat suggestions?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by 20180815, Mar 29, 2017.

1. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

This is the problem. I'd eat it myself.

3. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie likes anything new. So for him, any treat is potentially high value provided it's novel. I've also noticed that really high value treats - like smelly dried tuna - lost its value after a few times.

Funnily enough the idea of "supper" was motivating for him after our evening walk yesterday. I said, Do you want supper? And he quickly jumped into the car - this after really wanting to run off to sniff things and not wanting to get into the car.

kateincornwall likes this.
  4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I will try again..

MF, kateincornwall and 20180815 like this.
  5. 20180815

20180815 Guest

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

7. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Same as @MF I have found what used to be high value (chicken, cheese, hot dog) lost value over time.
    So, I change it up a lot - our current craze is dried sardines (only other dogs can smell them so I'm safe).

8. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Squeezy tubes of cheese or liver work with Holly. The nice thing is that we just squeeze it out and let her lick it off. We don't need to get it all over our hands.

MF likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie likes Frankfurters, cheese, fish cubes are favourites here. For some reason Charlie does not like the Squeezy tube but does like Primula - weird :rolleyes: Hattie loves any food :D x

10. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

Mocha will do anything for a tin of cat food. I just open and dump on the ground. I also open a corner of it and let her lick it when we practice heel. Fits nicely in the pocket. She loved dried lung, horse especially. It stinks way bad though and most dogs follow me around when I have it on my person. For me though the temperature gets her to be at my side. I warm up sausages, roast chicken and so forth and put it in a thermos.

selina27 likes this.
  11. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

I open my thermos and drop pieces on the ground to keep my hands clean.

12. Boogie

I've been watching a training video and the trainer makes an excellent point.

Some treats - like dried liver - are very high fat and must be used in moderation or pancreatitis could be a real danger. He recommends using a really high quality (but different from their normal) kibble. Jackpot = many treats one after the other.

SwampDonkey and Inky lab like this.
  13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If this is Ian Dunbar and ziwipeak - yeah, ok, but slight yawn. It's just freeze dried kibble. It didn't cut the mustard with Charlie as a teenager. I think it is perfectly possible, in theory, to train a dog with kibble. It's a LOT faster with king prawns though! :D

14. Boogie

It is - we are not allowed to use human food with our pups.

:)

SwampDonkey and Inky lab like this.
  15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

:D:D:D

What makes something 'human food'?

Highland diced venison from Waitrose is £13.34 a kg. Freeze dried venison in the form of ziwipeak is £25.72 a kg.

16. Boogie

Human food is anything they may smell in a cafe, shop or restaurant or on a coffee table. Their owners can't see what they are up to so the dogs need to be reliable round all food at any height.

:)

SwampDonkey likes this.
  17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's very old fashioned - I'm very disappointed that's what guide dog trainers think. Although I doubt it is, probably just a vast organisation failing to keep its guidance up to date.

Inky lab likes this.
  18. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We have tried various "High Value" treats, but I think Tilly and Cooper react about the same to the small dog biscuits. They both really like the Mother Hubbard's assorted dog biscuits, and will do about anything for them.

Last night I needed to give Tilly some benadryl, and I put the pills in small pieces of string cheese. Tilly just gobbled them down, but I gave some of the same cheese to Cooper (can't treat one and not the other) and she had to carry it away and inspect it before she would eat it. She has had string cheese many times before, but usually it is when I peal it off the stick, not cut it into chunks. Cooper is also a little suspicious of sliced salami, I used it initially in whistle training, but I think she is just as happy with biscuits.

19. Boogie

I've just got some Arden Grange mini adult kibble. Tiny biscuits so a jackpot can be a stream of them.

The dogs love them.

:D

20. MF

MF Registered Users

I once bought Orijen cat pellets - all fish. Bought them for treats. (They didn't have dog pellets in the shop.) What a pain!!! They were too tiny. I didn't consider the streaming aspect though; I used them on walks. I think I gave Snowie more of them than had they been dog pellets cos it was easier to take out a handful. And he often dropped a lot of them. And they stunk! And my hand got gooey cos he'd lick them off cos they were too tiny. Made them extra stinky!