Extreme high reward treat suggestions?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by 20180815, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Darren mccann

Darren mccann Registered Users

Is it ok to feed my pup lab apple and carrots?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I feed both apples and carrots @Darren mccann - bits of both, but whole carrots too. I avoid the apple core because the seeds can be toxic but and odd one here or there is unlikely to cause harm. I haven't myself. but others freeze carrots and give them whole

Darren mccann likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I have lots of different treats some high value some less. I make sure the are all different sizes so I can tell high value from low without looking. I rotate them regularly. I have to be careful of anything with a high fat content. Venison sausages are good freeze dried sprats ziwipeak fish 4 dog salmon strips small fish cubes and millies wolfheart treats have always been good. I also take my dogs normal food out. Its whatever works for you and you dog.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, both - ours love carrots :D

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I totally agree, if it works for your dogs and doesn't harm them then go for it! The warning about fat content is important 'tho, as we often use a LOT of treats when teaching a new behaviour. Many commercial treats (and home made) have a very high fat content, which has the danger of pancreatitis - not just weight gain.

I am restricted to using mainly kibble, and I find it works really well if I give five or six pieces sometimes as a 'jackpot'(thank you Ian Dunbar for the idea of using small bite kibble!). I use fish cubes for difficult exercises and they adore them - plus no slime lol!

:)