Fat dog:(

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by laurenxo, May 31, 2016.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

Forgot to say his ideal weight is 34 kg. Compared to what I see here on the forum, he's on the big size! And yet he's small compared to other Labs I see, that weigh anything from 38 kg up to 50 kg! One thing that is difficult, when surrounded by fat dogs, is to know if your dog is too thin or just right. I keep needing to keep visuals in my head of sleek, healthy dogs and know Snowie is not starving!!

drjs@5 likes this.
  2. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Holly's on under 200g per day. With training treats and the occasional scraps her weight is usually between 26-27 kg. She walks 2-3 hours a day, sometimes more at weekends, so she burns it off.

Its really hard to put a Lab on a diet but its sometimes necessary. A dog's overall health will be much better if you can keep its weight down. The big benefit for large dogs like Labs is that it reduces wear on the joints.

You just have to be a little bit cruel to be king and resist the pleading look ".... but I'm STAAAAAARVING"!

laurenxo likes this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Looking at the Burns food it seems OK, high in fibre, so food will transition quickly through the gut. Protein a bit low.

Feeding Guide: Weight Control+ Chicken & Oats
    SIZE OF DOG BODY WEIGHT ADULT (9 Months +) SENIOR
    TOY
    1kg - 5 g 25g - 50g 20g - 40g
    SMALL 5kg - 10kg 50g - 100g 40g - 80g
    MEDIUM 10kg 20kg 100g- 200g 80g - 160g
    LARGE 20kg -30kg 200g - 300g 160g - 240g
    30kg - 40kg 300g - 400g 240g - 320g
    GIANT 40kg - 50kg + 400g - 500g 320g - 400g

I would go by Tillys ideal weight which your vet suggested at 27kgs. This would mean her feeding regime should be (based on the above) between 200 - 300g per day. I would in the first instance reduce this by 25% so this would mean feeding 150g per day total split into 2 meals, then weighing her after a week.

laurenxo likes this.
  4. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

Yes she's on about 80 grams a day and has sweet potato here and there, still weening her off her old food at the moment too, but she does look like she has lost abit of weight over 4 days and her stools are getting smaller which means she is :)

drjs@5 and Cath like this.
  5. laurenxo

Actually I might take a photo each month of her, going vets in few week so will be weighed then

Beanwood and Cath like this.
  6. laurenxo

I totally agree ! It has been hard not going to lie, little things like tiny bit of butter on my finger when making toast is a no go now!

7. Angela Beckett

Angela Beckett Registered Users

Sorry but vets do not know everything as stuoid as that sounds. My vets told me my lab was obese & needed to loose weight. I told her she was on 600g of raw food a day & walked 2hrs per day (40mins in morning & 1hr + ish in eve) plus weekends a good couple hrs running around with another dog. So the vet wanted to put my lab on 800g of food per day & told me 2hrs was too much (shes a working bread not show dog breed)???'' Then tgey had a problem with me feeding raw and wanted me to buy there dry kibble.