fed up

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by SwampDonkey, Jun 7, 2016.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Me Rory and Moo got attacked by a loose boxer about 8 days ago. The owner and his dad (scum and son of scum) then attacked us all verbally and physically. The police and the dog warden are involved and it has been traumatic for us all(public order and assault charges for them). Unfortunately it has deeply affected Rory and he is now very sensitive to men shouting and raising their arms even ones he knows well. He has also become extremely sensitive to large dogs on whilst on his lead and very interested in people who are far away whilst off it. I think this is fairly understandable and have spoken to a behavioiurist and got some ideas on how to tackle his decreased confidence and have also booked him in for a training sessions. The training sessions start in july and I'm working with the ideas the behaviourist gave me. Rory is not the most confidant dog and I'm just wondering if anyone has got any ideas for things to boost his confidance.

I taking things easy and if he shows any signs of reactivity moving him away from the thing causing it. I hope to get him back to normal by slowly increasing his tolerance and getting some men to be nice to him. Some of my local dog walking friends have helped by giving him nice things and fusing him so he has improved. Sadly last night I had to apologise to a neighbor because Rory reacted badly to his Rottie. He was really nice and understood once I had explained and he said he knew Rory well and knew something had happened because his behaviour was different. It really upset me will this get better?

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

What a horrible experience for you and your dogs. I don't really have any advice but your plan of gradual desensitisation sounds the right way to go. Hope you meet lots of friendly people and dogs over the next few weeks.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. How awful! There are some truly horrid people out there.
    It is great that you have some lovely local dog walkers to help out. Talking from only my own experience with Casper, who is reactive is that the best thing is to take it easy with Rory and don't rush things. Go slow, really slow. Try not to rush into solving his problem, and work instead on finding really quiet walks, even hire a secure field and have some really pleasant walks first. You also need to be able to relax when out with Rory. Don't overface him right now, just one friendly dog at a distance perhaps, and only if Rory is happy then take it a step further.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

What a horrible experience for you all. I won't add to the advice you've had as I have no experience but wish you and Rory all the best getting through this x

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think you are taking the right steps. But also, be kind to yourself and try to relax. Rory is also very sensitive to you and your feelings, and can tell when you are nervous or worried, and that will make things worse. I speak from experience, because since after Poppy was so badly bitten, I have to be really careful to stay unconcerned and upbeat when we are confronted with an unknown big dog off lead.

I must say I can definitely see a difference in Poppy since she was bitten. She is less friendly to other dogs, more likely to stand her ground, and less likely to want to play or make friends. It is quite noticeable. She and a flatcoat, who she knows well and who she normally likes very much, had a little set-to at training last weekend. They didnt bite each other, but there was a lot of growling and snapping and they were wrestling on the ground, not in a friendly manner, for a few seconds before we broke it up. Being bitten has definitely affected her, long term. :(

Pilatelover likes this.
  6. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience, it must have been awful for you. :(

7. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

What a horrible experience for you all. I've no direct experience in helping a dog through such a time, but there seems some really good and wise advice above. I was sad to read about Karen's Poppy's experience and Karen's comment that being bitten has affected Poppy long-term, but I guess it's hardly surprising that there isn't some impact on behaviour. If we were attacked in the street, I'm sure we'd react with great caution and concern if we saw anyone similar approaching us. I do hope that Rory will be able to feel more confident very soon with your love and support, and I hope that you're ok, because it must have been rotten for you to go through it as well. Keep strong!

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

It was a horrible experience, three Ridgebacks and a Weimaraner surrounded poor Poppy, and one of them bit her in her side. Emergency vet and staples were the result.

9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Oh dear. I do have some second hand experience. A big GSD got loose at our training and attacked a much smaller Toller and bit both the dog and his owner (who threw himself on top of his little Toller) badly enough both needed medical attention and stitches. The Toller had a very hopeful career ahead of him in conformation and performance sports but was extremely nervous with male dogs around, understandably, but more so with intact males and that part was funny because the GSD was neutered.

The facility trainers rounded up some of the intact males and all we did was walk around the ring, all of us on leash, one other intact male at a time with the Toller, gradually making the ring smaller so we were passing in close quarters. Then we did simple exercises off leash. This helped immensely. Key was other calm dogs obviously in control. Even though the Toller seemed more badly hurt than Rory he also seemed not as badly affected mentally. Mind you, it took months. Is this an option with your trainer?

Probably you tighten up when you see the other dogs too, fearful for Rory. It's pretty darn hard not to. Maybe there are some exercises you can do too, though I don't know what.

10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

@sdegg so sorry to read this, I don't have any advice just wanted to let you know you have my sympathy. :)

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@sdegg it sounds as if you are doing all the right things to help Rory recover. Good advice from a behaviour counsellor, time, patience and lots of love and praise will see you through

NickyW likes this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor you and Rory, I am sorry :( I think the way we as owners tackle and behave after an attack is the most important thing for our dogs, easier said then done. When Hattie was attacked very nastily twice within 3 months by the same Flat Coat, I took her out with nice dogs and when we see this Flat Coat I get her to "look at me" treats and tons of praise, I do not avoid this dog but I give Hattie some distance, she has no problem walking past him at all and he is a very nasty boy. However, his owner looks worried and her body language says exactly that and her endless excuses :mad:

I'm sure you will get through this and come out the other side. xx

NickyW likes this.
  13. SwampDonkey

hopefully he's just very very alert but he was better yesterday i took some dried sardines out with me

14. SwampDonkey

some think the best form of defense is attack plus I was a lone woman easy target? He will get better it will take time though i think

MaccieD likes this.
  15. Cath

Cath Registered Users

I am so sorry to hear about your terrible experience. Sending you both hugs xx

16. SwampDonkey

I think the main problem for me is I was very tired and sick when they attacked us and I am finding it hard to go out with the dogs. I feel like just staying in myself. I'm doing all I can but I think my worries are affecting him so he's getting over protective. I,m just having to get through it but its hard. There has been some improvement so i will just keep going an use everything that I've been told by the behaviourist and the kind people on here.

MaccieD and Sammyboy like this.
  17. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So sorry to hear of the nasty attack. I hope you and Rory both recover soon.

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So sorry to hear about the attack :(. It does knock your confidence and can leave you quite fearful. It doesn't help when you are poorly as it can mentally be even harder because all you want to do is have a nice, relaxed walk. Those people sound awful!
    Harley has been attacked a few times by a collie and it has changed her a bit too. She is more likely to stand her ground now and not back down, whereas before she would back down.
    Sorry to hear about Poppy @Karen ........... She sounds very much like Harley now.
    After the attacks I lost my confidence and was constantly looking around me on a walk. It took a few weeks to start to relax. My dog walker told me to have as many positive associations with other dogs as possible and it really helped. We have made some really good friends since (other dog walkers) and we let the dogs play together most weekends..........to start with Harley was defensive and had a pop (verbally only) at the GSD. As soon as this happened I recalled her, popped her lead on and said bye in a upbeat tone. The following week we met up again and Harley let out a little growl so on went her lead and off we went. The third week for some reason Harley showed no aggressive behaviour and was happy to play, so I let her. Since then the group has got larger (4 more dogs) and Harley has been fine. I think it's also because I am comfortable with these dogs that it helps.
    Last week when out and about we rounded a corner and bumped into a collie.......a few weeks ago I would of had to grab Harley and walk away quickly before she reacted.......but, this time she sniffed, said hi and carried on walking past. It was soooooo nice to see. The owners had children with them and their collie was 10 years old, but the collie was so calm and gentle natured that Harley let her defensive stance go away.
    I am still wary of certain collies and if I see one in the distance I divert Harleys attention and walk in a different direction keeping my demeanour relaxed.
    It will take time, but try and have as many positive associations with other dogs, even if it's just a quick sniff and off you go.
    It does get better, it just takes time x

NickyW and Sammyboy like this.
  19. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

Aw big virtual hugs to you and Rory xxx it's a horrible experience you both had , hope with a bit of time you both regain confidence .

20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am so sorry that you felt tired and sick, it must be exhausting and depressing to feel that way. I found one thing that helped was as soon as there was a dog in the distance that my dog was aware of, was to drop some tiny titbits on the floor, so that eventually he would pair the sight of a dog with something pleasureable happening.

NickyW, edzbird and Karen like this.