Feeding 9 week old Royal Canine

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sharon Maclennan, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Sharon Maclennan

Sharon Maclennan Registered Users

When using the daily guide is the 253g per day before soaking or the after weight. When we soak 100g this went to 174g with a little water, worried to over or under feed.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, and a warm welcome. There is no need to soak kibble (you can add water if you want to do so but it's not necessary). The water symbol on the Royal Canin packets mean "water should always be available" not that you need to soak the food.

So the weights given are for the food dry. That said, the weights of food given on the packet are usually far too high, and you'd be better off feeding less than that and feeding a bit more only if you think your puppy is getting too slim. The best thing you can do for your puppy, health wise, is to keep it slim and let it grow very slowly.

Best of luck, what is your puppy's name?

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Sharon and welcome to the forum. Julie covered your question, so I just wanted to say hi :)

Sharon Maclennan likes this.
  4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Welcome to the forum, Julie has given you fab advice there. I just wanted to echo what she said about you might not need to feed the entire amount the packet states. Over feeding can be a big cause of diarrhoea and in my experience the manufacturers waaaaay over estimate the daily allowance of food they put on their packet.

As an example I feed my adult dog about half of the manufacturers recommended amount for her weight - she would be fat as a house within a week if I fed all of it!

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me too.
    I would second (or is that third/fourth?) about the quantities - manufacturers always overestimate it. I would aim for about 2/3 of the quantity recommended and keep a watch on my puppy's weight/appearance.
    I have to say I have always added water to meals and still do, but I have a dog who doesn't otherwise drink very much.
    I wouldn't soak it though, as crunching food can help keep teeth clean.

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and agree with the previous comments.

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Shall I assume your breeder said to soak the kibble? Ours did so I did what the breeder said. We really soaked, wetted one bowl of kibble while feeding the first so the stuff soaked for several hours and turned to mush. However, the bag of food itself said not to and when I researched this found that apparently soaking releases vitamin C so the kibble would then have less of that. I asked the breeder about that and she said there was so little Vit C in the food in the first place it made little difference and I could add (she said how much but I forget) some if I wanted but her belief (after 30 years of doing this herself) was it wouldn't matter. You should feel free to contact your breeder with any questions you have.

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello from 2 year old Molly and me.

Molly was on Royal Canin when she came from the breeders. She had have had 4x 60 gram meals per day.

However, she rarely had a meal when young. I put her food in a number of toys, Buster Cubes, Treat balls, Kongs etc. I also used loads of her kibble as training treats, so,the majority of her food was hand fed. I always made sure that there was water available.

Over the next few months your pup Is literally going to grow before your eyes. It needs plenty of fuel to power this massive growth of muscle and bone. But as Julie says, the best favour you can do a dog at any age is to keep it the right weight. Not that easy when pups are generally quite rounded.

9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I used to increase the daily amount on a weekly basis by subtracting the suggested amount at 8 weeks away from the amount suggested at 12 weeks and dividing by 4, rather than increasing it all I one go from, in the Royal Canin, case 253g to 311g. I always feed her kibble dry as well.

10. Sharon Maclennan

Sharon Maclennan Registered Users

Thank you for all the replies.Fed him it dry this morning and he ate it all no problem.His name is Fudge! Next problem Crate Training he has been falling asleep on the couch and then being transferred into the crate this has worked well until last night put him in awake and he Howells and barked and cried and really was distressed!We have only had him a week,so early days.Researching transferring him onto a RAW diet.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Welcome Fudge! :)

12. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Welcome Fudge :)

Some info on raw feeding

The pros and cons of raw feeding
    How to feed your puppy on a natural raw diet