Feeding a 5 year old lab

Discussion in 'Life With A Lab' started by Fletch, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Fletch

Fletch Registered Users

We have recently adopted a gorgeous 5 year old black Labrador & we’re now feeding him on dry dog food, can anyone advise us of how much on both feeds to give him pls? I have googled it but I am getting mixed answers!!! So I thought I’d ask ‘DOG TALK’. Thanks in advance

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi @Fletch and welcome! :)

Regarding foods and amounts, how much you feed your dog depends on a number of factors, Body condition - at 5 years old, is he a reasonable weight?

Have a look at the link below for guidance on what to aim for in terms of body condition :)

dogs-body-condition

How does he look in terms of condition? Any history of skin problems/food intolerance/yeast infection? This could influence the type of dry food you use. A good quality, premium dry food should be fine. I personally like Millies Wolfheart, their customer service is second to none and they have a 5-star rating on all about dogs -nb: I wouldn't take everything they say on this review site as red, but it's a good indication of dog food quality, and a useful way to compare a few different brands.

allaboutdogfood

Finally, food amounts, start on slightly less than the guidance given on the packaging. Try for 10% less, and split into 2 meals. You can use soaked kibble in kongs as treats, or simply reduce his kibble if you are using other types of treats/chews. Be mindful though as a lot of commercial treats are high in carbs and calories, so worth carefully reading the packaging.

3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Fletch, Welcome to the forum! Kate has given some great advice above, and you might also find this article How To Feed A Labrador helpful.

Fozan likes this.
  4. Fozan

Fozan Registered Users

The article never gets old, very useful for newbies having Labrador. Thanks