feeding acana pup kibble

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ruth morris, Nov 16, 2017.

1. ruth morris

ruth morris Registered Users

I plan to feed my pup on acana puppy kibble,can I also feed some raw food in her kongs. and can I give her chicken wings.ruth?

2. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

I am confused as to what bones pups can eat, it is discussed a lot on here but I know a butcher who disagrees with some information. Apparently soft (cooked bones) will splinter and be harmful but uncooked bones such as chicken wings, neck etc are ok. My butcher friend says that these bones can also splinter, they do when they are chopping them and have caused problems with some customers who have given them to their dogs. I am staying away from bones anyway until she is older as I would be nervous of causing choking, lots of others will disagree though.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Never feed any COOKED bones as they will splinter which is dangerous. I feed my dogs raw chicken wings, necks, carcases etc. They don't spliter as they are chewed up very
    quickly :) x

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes @ruth morris you can, just watch her carefully incase she tries to swallow it whole :) x

ruth morris likes this.
  5. MF

MF Registered Users

I went to a lecture by an animal nutritionist the other week. He said: birds have hollow bones so they splinter. Other animals have solid bones, and they crumble, don’t splinter.

I found his answer rather vague and unclear though, and he annoyingly swept along to the next question so I couldn’t clarify if it’s okay to feed them or not.

Anyway, the consensus among the raw feeding community was that raw chicken bones are fine for adults and puppies alike, based on their experience - ie more than one person’s experience.

I feed my boy raw meaty bones as his meals. He loves them. No problems in five years. He also picks up cooked chicken bones on walks (people litter!) - thankfully never had a problem.

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I prefer not to use poultry bones, but that is a personal choice, shame really as we breed them here! I do feed them chicken and duck necks though. Bone wise mine get lamb (our own..) pork and beef :)

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Why don't you like to feed poultry Kate? :) x

8. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Chicken wings are easy to swallow whole esp if you're pup is a gulper. If that happens you might have a very expensive vet bill. Chicken quarters -leg and thigh-- are safer. And yes, never feed cooked bones to your dog.