Feeling like it's all gone to pot

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by selina27, Jun 4, 2017.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:(
    Oh dear. Everything seemed to be going so well with Cassie after about 7 months of age and her first season came and went uneventfully.

Now suddenly she has started being boisterous again and when she gets the zoomies hurls herself at me and grabbing clothing etc which can hurt. She soon stops if I turn my back etc, but I really wish she wouldn't do it! She has started to mouth my arms even when I'm sitting down sometimes, which has not happened for months. All this came back a couple of weeks ago when she had a phantom pregnancy, and I thought it was related, the physical symptoms have gone away and she mostly seems her relaxed self.

So I can't work out if it's an age thing or hormonal, but I feel anxious because it's as if I've failed to teach bite inhibition.
    I've never really got into the tug game but I did do it tonight when she started and I think it may have helped.
    She gets 1 or 2 walks a day, incorporating training and I do some stuff between times most days, work days included. And we've started a new training class on Saturdays, so she does get mental activity.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley still mouths too :( he gets too excited and tries to initiate play and mouths. I just say "no teefs" or "kisses" and he turns it to licks and he's really gentle so I don't mind too much. But I'd prefer it if he didn't do it at all.

It sounds like Cassie is reaching adolescence - a few members have said their dogs changed around this age and they pretty much had to go back to square one. (Stanley never got out of puppy I don't think - so I never noticed :rolleyes:)

selina27 likes this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I think its probably a bit of both , those pesky hormones can play absolute havoc , especially after a phantom pregnancy which can leave them feeling confused/angry/upset . I certainly noticed that Millie took a backward step in the behaviour stakes after her phantom , but it didn't last . I think you are doing the right thing by turning your back , I know its not nice to do, but it shows her that you don't like what she is doing ! Take her back to basics , play tug if she likes it but only when she isn't biting or mouthing you , so that's its a reward for her , keep the faith, they do grow up x

xxryu139xx and selina27 like this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yes I have to varying degrees with each dog. The despair still hits with Mr Fabulous and I think what the hell have I been doing with you for the last 3 years and who gave you a brainwashing? I have always associated (dont laugh) spring and the rising of the sap with renewed silly behaviour. They seem to feel good this time of year extra frisky a bit full of hormones they just feel good strong and can get a bit pushy. Think pushy teenager. Testing boundaries and just being silly. At the moment I'm having difficulty get him to walk on a lead. Honesty they all go though this the are just dogs. I just get my training books out and try some different things and try not to be too upset. I know with Rory he can be amazing tomorrow and a d*ck today.:) if it's any consolation I think Moo is perfectly trained now at 14. .. well maybe.

5. selina27

Of course I laughed :cwl: you always make me laugh.

But.. that very thing has crossed my mind, the time of year, it sure happens with horses, but they actually eat the grass.

Yes, I have a friend who assures me Cass will perfect age 15 !

kateincornwall and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. selina27

Thank you, kind @kateincornwall

kateincornwall likes this.
  7. selina27

Haha , he always sounds fab.

It's the teeth touching me that is worrying me :(

8. SwampDonkey

I nearly said like horses you know how they get:nod: if a horse behaved like this we'd just roll our eyes and not think we were rubbish. Every young creature kicks against the traces.

selina27 likes this.
  9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

She is hitting the adolescent stage, coupled with her season and phantom, her brain must be a bit frazzled at the minute. Go back to basics with bite inhibition and be consistent. She's a very intelligent girl and I'm sure she will come out of this stage quickly. In the meantime there's always wine.......

10. selina27

How right you are :nod: still do it myself :cwl:

I am a bit hung up on her I suppose, she's some how both my first dog and my last.

SwampDonkey and kateincornwall like this.
  11. selina27

Indeed there is ....

Thank you, she is quite sassy, we used to call her Sassy Miss Cassie till we decided it sounds a bit like a brothel owner .

Karen, snowbunny, Naya and 1 other person like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

Sounds like she might be quite a spanky sort of mistress at the moment.

Karen, edzbird and kateincornwall like this.
  13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

@SwampDonkey oh you do make me laugh , when I need it most ! x:cwl:

selina27 likes this.
  14. SwampDonkey

Glad to be of service. Its been a hard day for us all in the UK again today

15. selina27

:cwl: oh stop it

16. selina27

Yes

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

You've had some lovely advice. I'll just stay try to stay calm and consistent and she'll come through. She really does have bite inhibition or you'd be in A&E (I hope you're not!) she's just over excited and you need to help her learn to calm down.

I did so much fun training with my spaniel yesterday he jumped up and put his mouth round my arm. I was shocked, he's nearly 3! We just did heelwork for a few minutes and he calmed down (ish!)

Karen likes this.
  18. SwampDonkey

Yeah they just get a bit silly sometimes I just look horrified and I see him almost think bugger to much. Then i calm him down too.
    does your dog do that thing they do tiny almost micro nips that tickle it's not even a nip it's like an affectionate pinch and they do it really quickly. It makes me giggle its so tickly. It like a tiny kiss with a bit if teeth edge.

Sven and Karen like this.
  19. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - like they do when grooming themselves :)

20. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Nibbling? My lab does that to me when he's trying to get my attention, problem is it feels more than a tickle when he does it! :eek: