Feeling nervous!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Feeling nervous!

You can't have too many Kongs!

With a tiny pup I just put soaked kibble in, but as they soon start finish it too quickly I then freeze them (the kibble is part of their food allowance so not overfeeding)

I also use filled bones you can buy at the pet shop. I scrape out the filling (throw away, it's fatty rubbish) then stuff with soaked kibble and freeze - they last a lot longer than a Kong for an older pup. They don't chomp the bones - not even my 18 month old so fine for teeth, but I only use them supervised, Kongs can be used when you leave them alone.

:)

2. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Thanks for that :)

We've got a lovely local butchers... is it safe to ask for old bones or any offcuts that may be going spare? OH got a load of lamb bones last week to make a stock. Just wondered if we could get some for Bob too? I know they shouldn't have chicken or pork... but beef or lamb?!

Lou x

3. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh yes. We've fed Pongo on lamb bones as a treat since we got him (he was already on raw bones with the breeder). We've learned NOT to give him very large ones (they have unfortunate results overnight!) but from the butcher we get the lamb rib-cages and give him a rib at a time. He goes into absolute heaven, and they seem really good for his teeth (very sweet breath). We've only used lamb - I have heard that beef bones are too big and hard for a puppy's teeth.

Do you know that they must be raw? Don't give him cooked bones, the cooking makes them brittle and more likely to shatter. Raw bones are nice and chewy (at least if you have teeth and jaws like a labrador).

Rosie

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

PS on the butcher.... I heard from one butcher that they 'weren't allowed to sell meat for animals' - so we had to say we wanted the bones for stock. This may be nonsense (it certainly sounds completely daft) but there you go.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Chicken wings and carcasses are fine as long as they are raw :)

6. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=8185.msg115767#msg115767 date=1412863338]
    Chicken wings and carcasses are fine as long as they are raw :)
    [/quote]

I didn't realise that... thank you!

Lou x

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Avoid mammal leg bones as they are too hard and can crack or wear teeth. But anything else is generally fine (like lamb necks, lamb ribs) :) Any part of a raw chicken, duck, fish, turkey, quail, rabbit, pheasant is definitely fine. To be honest I personally avoid beef bones as they are big and I am a bit paranoid about teeth but oxtail would be very good I reckon - soft and lots of chewing potential. Go for things with plenty of meat on them.