Feeling unfit

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by LKRG, Oct 13, 2018.

1. LKRG

LKRG Registered Users

In the two months we’ve had our puppy she’s had a uti, we’ve learned she has a recessed vulva which makes her more prone to uti’s, she had an ear infection, she was stung on the lip by a wasp, and now she had to have a baby tooth extracted because it broke somehow. I expected having a puppy to be work with training and basic care stuff, but I’m feeling discouraged and like I’m doing something wrong and messing up this beautiful, sweet puppy. I had one other puppy in my life when I was young and it was never this hard!!

I don’t really have a question, I guess. Just venting and maybe looking for anyone who has felt the same and can sympathize.

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

Oh dear. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I can relate.
    13 years ago we got a beautiful 9 week old Airedale Terrier puppy that we named Angus. He was nothing but trouble from the get go. :D
    At 13 weeks we had to rush him to emergency vet. Unknown to us he was scooping up gravel on his walks. His entire intestine was packed and he nearly died. With the xrays, flushing of his intestine and overnight stay he cost us $1500.00 . That was just the beginning. He had a knack for getting into trouble. He had two major surgery on his knees due ACL. And much more but
    we wouldn't have changed a thing. He was the best dog ever. He had a happy life. He passed away in March 2018 at 12 years old. We miss him everyday.

So don't feel unfit or beat yourself up . Things sometimes happen that you have no control over.

Saffy/isla, LKRG and Plum's mum like this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

No, you are not doing anything wrong! The first year can be full of little "niggles" until puppies settle and mature.

When you are dealing with the usual puppy chaos, anything on top can seem a bit much. What you are feeling is completely normal.

Did the vet have any opinion on why her puppy tooth fractured? Just wondered what type of chews/toys you are using. It's good that the tooth has been extracted, leaving a broken baby tooth in situ can cause problems for adult teeth down the line.

My understanding (limited mind...) re: recessed vulva, is that they often sort themselves out after the first season, hopefully that will be one less thing to worry about!

And being stung by a wasp? That only happens ONCE! So that's one you can tick of your list! We keep honeybees here, and our three are very wary of anything that makes a buzzing sound.

LKRG and Jade like this.
  4. LKRG

LKRG Registered Users

I’m so sorry for your loss. Before this puppy, at the end of June, the last of a trio of cats I had passed away at 19 years old. I think of her and my other two every day as well. So hard to lose them, but life is so much better for having them in it. ❤️

Jade likes this.
  5. LKRG

LKRG Registered Users

Thank you for the reassurance. No idea how the break happened. I’m thinking it might have even been there for several days before I discovered it. She was chewing on her hippo toy that has a rope tail and there was a very small amount of blood, but I just figured that was normal teething. And maybe it was, but now that we found the broken canine tooth, who knows! She has three different sized Kongs. She chews on bully sticks, yak chews, baby carrots, a nice green (and so has some give and isn’t rock hard) wood stick. All her other toys are fabric/stuffed/strap type. I did put a bully stick and a yak chew in the freezer thinking it might give her some relief if she were teething. Maybe that did it? Made them way too hard? She loves to play tug of war. Maybe that did it? No clue. She never yipped or stopped eating or anything!

I discovered it because she *did* seem off with her tug of war playing on Thursday night so I thought poor baby, maybe her gums are sore. I was rubbing them and when I went over the broken tooth area it felt sharp in a different way than the usual sharpness. When I looked, the two halves of the tooth were separate from each other and movable. Like the cutting part of a pair of scissors.

The wasp is our best guess. We never actually saw what it was. She walks around the yard with her nose to the grass and if she finds something she smooshes her nose down on it and tries to eat it. Or if a little bug flies up she pounces! She yipped, we heard the buzz of something fly past, her lip swelled up, and she ran inside and just laid on her bed drooling for a few hours. Poor girl.

6. Jade

Jade Registered Users

Thank you. Sorry for your loss as well. Yes they make life better for sure.

LKRG likes this.
  7. DizzyDaisy

DizzyDaisy Registered Users

Goodness they sure do make you worry....I can definitely relate. Daisy seemed like a healthy pup until she got to 4 months of age. Then she came down with a UTI and eye infection all at once and on a long weekend, necessitating a trip to the emerg vet. In any case, this went on with her (UTI's eye, and ear infections) for a good couple of years before I finally figured out it seemed related to every time she got vaccinated.... once we stopped vaccinating the UTI's and eye infections stopped. She only had one UTI later in her last year of life. She also had panosteitis at about 7 months old, and she also developed food allergies and seasonal allergies, as well as stomach issues, low thyroid, hip dysplasia and arthritis, and glaucoma which rendered her completely blind for the last year of her life. I do recall Daisy at a young age stepping on a bee and getting stung (again on a long weekend!). She also developed glaucoma in the first eye also on a weekend where it was off to emerg vet. Seemed like all her big issues always cropped up when our vet wasn't open! Through it all she was the most wonderful sweet dog. I put her to sleep this past May at age 12. I miss her everyday.

Saffy/isla and LKRG like this.
  8. LKRG

LKRG Registered Users

Yep. Ours now has another ear infection and I think she either had a cold type thing of some sort or allergies. She was sneezing a lot for a few days and even reverse sneezing. Ugh. Poor girl just can’t get a break. And neither can our pocketbook!!

9. Lightning

Lightning Registered Users

Bless I think that has to be the hardest thing in the world to put your dog to sleep , especially someone you care and so much love , and they love you back

DizzyDaisy likes this.
  10. DizzyDaisy

DizzyDaisy Registered Users

It is probably the toughest decision in my life I’ve ever had to make.