Female dog anxiety and aggression at vets.

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Charlie15, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Charlie15

Charlie15 Registered Users

My big girl is 2 1/2 years old. She Is not sprayed (as vets won’t take her in).
    Over lock down we visited the vets due to a swollen eye and lip. Believed to be a wasp sting. She had to go in on her own. Where she received an injections to reduce swelling. When she got brought back out to me they informed me she growled at them. I didnt think much of it. Over the passed year she has been growling at random people when their gone to stroke her ect. Also she will do it to people we no but not every time? we visited the vets again last week for our check up and from the second we walked into the vets she was anxious. Anyone who went near her she growled at. Basically she was trying everything to get out of there. Even growled at her doggie friend who we saw ( never growled at another dog). Never seen her like this.
    It was our turn to see the vet. The vet couldn’t get no where near her. Growling and even lunged at the vet. The vet left her and didn’t make eye contact while talking to me. Where Rosie ( dog) started to calm down. But vet still unable to get near. The vet kept throwing treats and Rosie did eat some out of her hand. You could see she wanted to approach but something was stopping her.
    has anyone else experienced anything like this?
    the vet has advised me to muzzle train, find a dog behaviourist and take Rosie into the vets regularly to decentralise her.
    Any help or advise would be much appreciated and welcome.
    In all other aspects she is a normal lab. Lazing around and eating. Enjoys long walks and swimming. Loves her little human who dotes on her.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I would certainly listen to your vet. Get a behaviourist as soon as possible before someone gets bitten. In the meantime, definitely muzzle train her and pop her to the vets weekly for some treats.

3. Athena

Athena Registered Users

You have a wonderful vet. I agree with 5labs: muzzle train and book a behaviorist. Muzzle training is a great benefit in case your dog is ever hurt or ill. And do visit the vet for treats.Good luck :)