Fighting lead and grabbing arm

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by selina27, Jun 22, 2017.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I'm having trouble with Cassie, 14 months, suddenly grabbing the lead/ harness when outside. It started 3/4 weeks ago when she was going through a phantom pregnancy and I put it down to that. But the symptoms have gon away and she is now her happy go lucky self except for this rather upsetting behaviour, because when she gets stuck in it hurts because she grabs my arm
    and I worry that I haven't taught that it's not ok. It's really hard to stop her but when she does she instantly reverts to her normal self. But it's depressingly like the crocopup I had 12 months ago, perhaps it's midsummer. It doesn't matter if I've been home all day, she's had training, walks or time alone. It mostly happens in the evening but not always.
    Following advice on my other threads I've been deflecting her if she "rhino" charges me. But it's harder if she's on her harness because she attacks that. I do take out the tug toy, but she pulls so hard I can hardly resist, she doesn't do that in the house/garden just "outside". Yesterday though she somehow got it out of my pocket, and after "fighting" me for it proceeded to bundle it up in her mouth and so I let her carry it home which she did with absolute determination. She's not fixated on toys generally but obviously the desire has built up for this tug toy, but I don't how to turn this to positive advantage. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Have you taught her to release the tuggy? Fast games of tug tug release are fun, where the reward is another game of the same. Or food. Or perhaps even a carry of the tuggy is a reward for her. Practice in the house/garden where she is likely to be able to do it, then have a go on your walk. Releasing the tuggy is an important part of the game.

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Thank you @edzbird , I don't really understand tuggy, so don't really do it much.
    I am going to start a log of when she does this mugging behaviour and see if I can see a pattern, I might as well put it on the Forum and see if I can get some help along the way. :)