Finding my next dog: when Plan B becomes Plan A (again)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Heh, heh...that IS kind of my "thing". My closest friend in Germany has repeatedly expressed shock at how my dog hunt has progressed over the past year ("There are spreadsheets! Who needs spreadsheets to find a dog!?").
    When a German thinks you are too methodical and too organised...maybe you HAVE taken it too far. :wasntme:

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh, this is so fantastic! So glad you have made a decision and can move ahead confident that you have explored all the options! I'll be cheering you on from here, so excited to share the journey with you!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Spreadsheets are good! You should have seen my spreadsheets for finding my puppy! :D

4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi Emily, I'm sure with all your experience you will be able to deal with a Lab pup, I guess we hear on the forum about the worst of the crocopups which definitely brought me here. I don't think they all do it, and my Cassie really has been fab in other ways. She's so quick to learn that it makes me feel humble and any shortcomings are mine not her's. She took to her crate with no problems, slept through the night from 3 days in, does not bark inappropriately. She hasn't done a poo in the house since 10 weeks of age, and very soon accepted being alone for a while. She does however want to party with EVERYONE and is partial to a bit of poo now and then. Good luck with finding your pup.

5. Granca

Granca Registered Users

You might have a queue of forum labs any minute!

I'm so glad you've had that light bulb moment and am looking forward to hearing your adventures with your puppy. :doug:

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  6. Emily_BabbelHund

It's good to hear about puppies who maybe AREN'T the tiny terrors that many people here seem to have. I'm more worried about my energy levels being enough to keep a puppy and young dog happy and engaged, but that's for me to try to improve before I find my puppy. Good motivation for me.

And all the best dogs are "partial to a bit of poo now and then", right? ;)

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Luna is a poo fiend. Cow, goat, sheep, bird.... she's apparently not fussy. Not interested in cat, dog or fox (yet), though.
    I choose not to let it bother me. Pick your battles! :D

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I've had 3 and only one was bitey and I think that was because he had colitis was in pain hungry and on steroids . I would have another tomorrow.
    You know what to expect it will be fine.most adaptable inspiring loving dogs ever, you just need to get on with it. Its hard to know how much you need a lab and still not got one.

9. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Sound advice. Don't know if it's coincidence but since I decided not to get hung up on it she seems to do it less.

10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Mwahaha, we wore you down using one cute lab photo after another :devil:

drjs@5, Bruer, snowbunny and 3 others like this.
  11. MF

MF Registered Users

Very excited for you on your search!

Re colors: I don't know if the research has been done, but it seems that yellows suffer more from skin issues than blacks. Based on that, I'd stick with black. I don't know about chocolates.

And yes, definitely, wardrobe issues must be taken into consideration!! :)

12. Emily_BabbelHund

Mmmmm...that's interesting. I do remember hearing that about yellows - maybe even from you here on the Forum. The only thing I've heard about chocolates is that the fur is maybe a little coarser than the blacks or yellows.

Wardrobe aside, I've always had dark-colored dogs and am just sort of partial to them. The first Lab I really went "Wow!" over was a chocolate - still remember him from 20 years back so he made an impression. And it wasn't his coat colour really, he just seemed so silly and fun.

My strategy for the moment is to try to find a planned litter of blacks and chocolates and just see which one is "my dog" based on temperament. The final colour can be kind of a bonus surprise. :)

MF likes this.
  13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

If it makes you feel any better Riley wasn't a crocopup. He was easy to housetrain. Very trainable on his manners: loose lead, leave it, sit/stay. His recall was a bit tricky as he does love to say hello to other dogs and we had some challenges on the retrieving front.

All in all he's my best boy and a very easy dog to live with :inlove:

14. Emily_BabbelHund

That's lovely to hear, Barbara, thank you. I've had two easy non-Lab puppies, so I'm probably due a tiny terror, but let's hope I luck into a more "Riley-like" puppy. :)

bbrown likes this.
  15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

So great to read you sounding so positive and excited Emily ,can't wait to see your little fella when you find him x
    I second Barbara too you know,Dexter wasn't a huge biter( granted I never had him as an 8 week old) and he didn't chew the house up either,just a few minor nibbles so its possible to come through reasonably unscarred :rofl: mind you,there has always been the chasing for me grrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh but I can't have it all ways !

16. Emily_BabbelHund

Well, if we're talking skin, I've already got so many scars it would just add a bit more character to the mix. The place I live in Germany is pretty much IKEA heaven, so if I should lapse in my supervision and the little guy took a chunk out of any of the furniture, it would be a simple trick of swapping it out at the IKEA store down the road before my very kind landlady noticed.

And my car is just way too pristine, so it needs a bit of puppy re-deco. Actually when I bought it used, it was completely perfect except the roof antenna, which seemed a bit short to me. When I screwed it off to have a closer look, I couldn't help but laughing. It quite clearly had been gnawed off by tiny little puppy teeth. I don't know HOW that happened, but I really thought it was the sign it was meant to be MY car: puppy custom design work!

snowbunny and Dexter like this.
  17. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Funny, since I've tried to be all zen about the poo she seems to be even more determined to find (and eat) ALL THE CAT POO. Blimming dog. I'm hoping that desire will peter out with age and that it's just teenage rebellion *fingers crossed*

There's a 6 month old black Lab bitch in my obedience class this term who is so mellow she's almost standing still, so the calm ones do exist. She's almost not quite natural, though, but I'm probably just a little *cough* a lot *cough* jealous.

selina27 likes this.
  18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Doug was too quiet and he turned out to have health problems. It became apparent as he got older. I think he was clever liked to watch things then act accordingly. He took things slowly because it was easier for him health wise but also because it was his nature.

19. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I am glad you made a decision! It must give you more peace of mind....just waiting for the right litter!

About poo eating. Our first lab did this the first day when we got her. It resulted in a day at the vets, for she kept on vomiting and had diarrhea! She was a very calm dog, relaxed and no croco pup!
    The second lab (Euan) couldn't be off lead for he would jump into the bushes and had a 'nice meal'. He was a croco pup!
    Finn, our third lab likes things thrown away like apples banana pealing, but also beetroots etc in the fields where we let him out. But not only that, also horse poo. He had a mouthful yesterday....About being a croco pup, Finn was a croco pup, but could be taught quite easily that he wasn't allowed to do so.

20. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I have had 2 labradors puppies within the last 3 years. Benson chocolate (male) and Bramble black (female).Both very different dogs, both no real trouble as youngsters. Neither of them were croco -pups. Benson was a dream to toilet train, and took to his crate instantly, pretty early on he started sleeping through the night. He was/is a chewer, but that isn't anywhere near as bad as it was, and certainly manageable. He has a sweet, very calm nature, a caring dog. He is the one that is most in tune with me, maybe because when we bought him I had only been out of my wheelchair a week. When I fell down a slope on a woodland walk, quite early on in my rehab, I was in real trouble and stuck, he scrabbled down, and actually pulled me back up. Bramble needed more work toilet training, and being a sensitive soul, we took a very gentle approach to training. She was easy in different way, never chewed, but took ages to toilet train, so lots of very early trudging downstairs to let her out! She has an "on" and "off" switch...she knows when it's time to work...and then just switches off so easily. Benson...hmmm still needs a little help to relax at times! :)