First time lab owner

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Steph R., Jan 23, 2017.

1. Steph R.

Steph R. Registered Users

Hello,

My family is getting a yellow lab on 2/17 named Tybee. We have two kids ages 6 and 5. This is a first lab. My last dog was a Russell Terrier/German Shepherd mix. Any advice would be welcomed.

--Steph

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and 3 year old red girl, Harley.
    I would practice with your children standing still like a tree with arms crossed. This will be important whilst pup is teething. You will need a space where pup can get away from the children and vice versa. Also, think about what commands you are going to use and get the children to practice. My nephew was 4 when we got Harley - we got him to put his arm out straight, Palm facing out and saying 'sit'. He loved getting her to sit so he could smooth her.
    It can get frantic with children running around making funny noises and the pul will think it's a game.
    Have you read The Happy Puppy' book? If not, I would highly recommend it.
    What is pups name?

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,
    Love the name ......very unique on the Forum x Id just like to add ,be prepared for the biting...it is what you expect ....and then a lot worse .Labs are often mouthy puppies ,just generally as a breed and they do grow out of it.Children can come off the worst I think , probably because they move quickly,are noisey,easier to jump at and usually have something fun ( a toy/food) in their hands....these are all exciting things for a little puppy and when they get excited they mouth.I'd really think about having a separate area in your living space.A puppy pen or an area you can block off with child gates is ideal,that way the puppy has its own space to be placed in to rest when it gets overexcited and bitey.....also educate the children to respect this space as the puppyy's ie ,no lying on the puppy's bed or going in his crate /pen ....my niece and nephew where 18 months and 2 1/2 yrs old when Dexter came to us and this helped us a lot.A puppy/ young dog takes a lot of supervision with young children around.....these 'safe' areas are such a help but you also have to put the training time in if you want to have a dog that can be trusted to live safely in your living area.I despaired that we would ever be able to have Dexter free and children's toys be safe so I put a lot of time in to make sure he wasn't shut away from us more than was absolutely necessary.
    Enjoy your puppy preparations and I definately second Ternaya's recommendation for the Happy Puppy Handbook x

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Mollie :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's three years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab and she's seventeen weeks old.

My advice - get plenty of baby gates and the Happy Puppy Handbook and read it cover to cover.

Enjoy every minute - they grow up too fast!

:)

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hi Steph..exciting times for you. Love the name Tybee

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. Loads of advice on this site about puppies :D

8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my 7yr old Lucan.

Bet you can't wait! :)