First Time Labrador puppy owners

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jack McConnell, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Jack McConnell

Jack McConnell Registered Users

Hi Guys, we have had our new chocolate Labrador puppy for 2 weeks. Louis is 10 weeks old and I just wanted to make sure we are doing everything correctly so far! We both work but make sure someone comes in to bring him out to the garden everyday for at least an hour to feed him and give him toilet break and a general run around. The first weekend we had him we had a long weekend to spend time with him and get him familiar with his surroundings. Training wise we have him sitting sometimes! Toilet training going okay we did not let him out of our sight first few days and gave him treats anytime he used the grass.. He seems to use the grass now anytime we bring him out but still has the odd accident now and again. I bring him out last thing before bedtime and get up up at 4am to let him out again and he usually rises again at 5.45 (sunrise when it is bright outside) for breakfast and toilet and a run and play around garden before we go to work. We are considering begining crate training in the next week? I was wondering what stage he should be at when 10 weeks old?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum :) I’m sure Louis is a real cutie!

Sounds like you are doing all the right things with toilet training. Being vigilant and using treats are both excellent strategies, as is getting up on the pup’s schedule to let him out.

It’s great that you’ve been able to arrange someone to come in each day while you are at work. How long would you say he is being left alone for at this stage?

This is a really good article about crate training and puppies: https://www.thelabradorsite.com/crate-training-your-labrador-puppy/ Have a read of it. It’ll give you a good idea of what it’s appropriate to expect at this age and what it’s ok to use a crate for.

And please ask as many questions as you like! :)

3. Jack McConnell

Hi Racheal, thanks for responding, sorry just saw message now, Louis is now 4 months this week! Louis is left for 4 hours in the morning before he is let out for a run and toilet and then approx 3 .5 hours in the afternoon, Monday Tuesday, Thursday. We have him in doggy day on Wednesdays and i work half day Fridays. We never went with crate training and he seems to be fine once he is let out every couple hours, apart from the odd accident in the house. We seem to have his routine figured out, most of the time!
    We have a found a great route for off the leash training in a forest close by where there are no distractions, have him on the lead when we are in areas near roads and where there are people and dogs. I am trying to get him out for a walk at 6am on the lead in different places but he doesnt seem to want to move, just sits and looks at me, i have tried before and after breakfast but still no joy, could this be due to tiredness, we usually have him in bed at approx 10.30pm during the week? My plan eventually is to have him out running with me and maybe a dip in the lake in the mornings but he doesnt seem to be a morning person so far!! Also when we have him on the lead he seems to be a bit jumpy with people when he sees them pulls on lead and jumps on them if they approach him, no barking or aggressiveness though.
    Sorry for long post just so keen to get everything right as we think he going to be a big labrador judging by his paws apparently and we want to enjoy our walks together.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Jack, it sounds as though your puppy is doing well with his toilet training :)
    Pups don't need a lot of exercise at four months so you don't need to worry about walking far if he doesn't want to. Here's some information about puppy exercise
    It's good that your pup isn't afraid of strangers, but it's best to teach him not to jump up. While it is cute right now, it won't be so cute when he weighs 60 or 70lbs :)

You can find an article here (with a video) explaining how to stop your boy from jumping up - hope you find it helpful! Let us know how you get on and shout if you have any questions

Andy Aveyard likes this.
  5. Jack McConnell

Thanks Pippa, how long will the sitting on the ground last? What age do i need to increase the amount of excercise?

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

If you are taking your puppy by vehicle to the forest he may well be daunted/overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. :). I would start with short walks from your home. Let him get used to the sights and sounds he encounters and stop before he gets reluctant to move. You'll find it isn't long before you have the opposite problem and are asking us how to stop him dashing off ahead of you :).

If he is reluctant to walk around at home too, then a trip to the vet is in order, but if it is just outside, he is almost certainly just feeling overwhelmed or tired.

As for increasing exercise, a lot of people use the five minute rule of thumb. That's five minutes walking for each month of age. So twenty minutes at four months. Lots more on the topic in that link some information about puppy exercise

CanuckKim likes this.
  7. Jack McConnell

Thanks Pippa, i find the forest road is very good for off lead training as there are no distractions as it is a very quiet area, and once i get him going he seems to enjoy it. He is fine walking around the back garden off the lead and on it. Just takes time i suppose, we will get there!