First time owners

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Gauri, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Gauri

Gauri Registered Users

Hi everyone, me n my husband just got a beautiful golden lab puppy a couple of days back. She's wonderful and affectionate towards everyone. During the day, she would usually roam around the house. But at the night we want her to stay in the hallway near our bedroom door. But if we leave her alone in the hallway, she wouldn't stop whining and crying aloud until my husband gets her and puts her back to sleep in his lap. For first two nights, she was left to roam around the spare bedroom which is in front of our bbedroom and she was fine. But she started to climb on the bed which we don't think is safe for her at this stage. Not sure if she is scared to be alone. And also would it affect her mental health of we leave her to cry throughout the night until she gets used to our place. Please help!!

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I’ve had each of my dogs in my bedroom with me as puppies and moved them all downstairs after a few weeks when they were more confident and settled. If you have her in a bed or box next to you, you can reassure with words or a gentle stroke if she stirs. But actually after the first few nights none of mine have disturbed me at night as I think they could sense me near.
    I wouldn’t leave a puppy to cry any more than I’d leave a baby. Your puppy will soon be grown up and happy to sleep alone.

3. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my 19 month old boy Bailey. We had Bailey in our bedroom from day one, initially in a crate then as he grew we swapped it out for his own bed. Maybe if you use a crate (even if for a short time like we did) it would give your girl (what is her name?) a sense of security - she has after all just left everything she has ever known and is in a strange place. You can always move the crate out to the hallway slowly over a few weeks once she has settled in properly.