Flat Coated retriever

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by jenny200, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jenny200

jenny200 Registered Users

Hi all

Not been on in a while as I've been busy meeting loads of labs;)

Anyway a friend lost her beloved lab last year andci ready to own another dog and is considering a flat coated retriever.

She's been told so far that they have the same energy level as labs and need around 2hrs of exercise a day plus loads of mental exercise and she's been told brain games\toys ect are fine.

She's also told they have a long puppyhood and can take up to 4yrs to mature. And that they are active dogs but not hyper.

And that they die young from cancer.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if any of this is true and if there is anything to add?

Many thanks in advance:)

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Jenny, flatcoats are lovely dogs. They can be a little slow to mature, and perhaps a little more challenging to train than a Lab but the cancer rate is a big problem.

According to one study, only the Irish Water Spaniel has a higher rate of mortality for cancer. The Institute of Canine Biology has more information. And there are various studies and research projects underway, and you can find out about these on the breed club's health page.

One problem is that most dogs are bred from before they get sick, and so the genes responsible get passed on relentlessly. Arguably finding a much older stud dog would reduce the risk but it's still a risk that would put me off. Such a shame because it's a lovely breed, full of character.

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have several friends with Flatcoat Retrievers and sad to say all of them have lost at least one early to cancer, usually at about 8 years of age, but of course they have also had Flatcoats who have lived to old age, but on the whole the breed is liable to cancer. They are lively dogs, especially when puppies and young dogs, but do eventually turn out to be lovely dogs, they mature late. I would say they are more lively when young than a Lab.