Food Bowl for Impulse Control

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Feb 27, 2017.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am starting a thread on the above training to separate it from Lara's scent thread.

OK, so I started to train with a food bowl with Charlie today but he is confused, my fault without a
    doubt :rolleyes: I got my son to stand at the end of the hall with some kibble in a bowl, Charlie was sat up on my lefthand side waiting for me to send him 'back'. Thomas knew if Charlie did not stop on my whistle to lift the bowl. Charlie quickly got the hang of that, but when I blew my whistle he stopped great but looked at Thomas with the food and not me for my next cue, so how do I solve that? :confused:

Thanks x

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You have some options. You can simply wait until he turns his head around to look at you, might be a few moments though, then mark that moment with a click or a word if you prefer and send him back immediately to get his food. Or you could try and make a little noise, like a kissing noise, to get his attention, then again click the moment he looks at you and send him immediately. By the way don't overdo this game and stop him each and every time you send him for his food bowl or he will start to anticipate being stopped and be slower and slower on the out run.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Too late, by 2 goes he was walking to the bowl :oops: He's smarter than I thought! What do I do about that?

Thanks for the suggestions about getting his attention, I will give it a go tomorrow. :) x

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Send him far more times straight to the bowl than stopping him. I aim for about 5 straight goes to one stop when I'm specifically training stop.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wouldn't that be a bit confusing as he was stopping on my whistle each time, even though he walked? :)

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just my 2 pennies worth...:) When Thomas takes the bowl away, make sure he disengages from Charlie, turn slightly away, no eye contact etc....also it might help if the bowl is out of sight :)

7. snowbunny

I don't understand what you mean. Why would it be confusing? When you blow your whistle, he stops, but you don't want him to anticipate your whistle, which is what he's doing if he's becoming "sticky". So, you need to have him not know whether you're going to blow the whistle or not, so he always runs to the bowl with confidence and enthusiasm. So, send him straight to the bowl (and allow him to have it) most of the time. And on the odd occasion, blow your whistle to stop. On those occasions, if he continues to run, remove the bowl. So he learns to run straight to the bowl when sent but, if (and only if) you blow the whistle, he needs to stop, or he loses his reward.

charlie likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thomas hid the bowl but actually he did keep looking at Charlie, OK thanks I will get him to turn away. Thanks :)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ah OK I see what you mean, I will do that and hopefully he will look at me when he stops for his next cue as he is looking at Thomas. I will wait him out as suggested and then send him :) Thanks

Beanwood likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

This is frustrating training :rolleyes: I think Charlie is really influenced by Thomas being in charge of the food bowl. I sent him 4 times straight to the bowl but he has no enthusiasm and just trots. I think he thinks Thomas is going to lift the bowl every time so he hesitates. He stopped on the 5th go and glanced fleetingly in my direction but I did have to wait him out so I told him to "get it" which he did.

Also I'm pretty sure 'back' is not helping as a cue, it's fine for the initial sending him but when he stopped on my whistle, he glanced, I said 'back' to get the food he shuffled back towards me on his butt. I have since found out Grace uses it to keep him walking behind her - great :rolleyes: What were we all talking about different people with different cues, so now it's a bit of a problem :rolleyes: I think I will just say 'go' maybe? o_O

@Beanwood Kate suggestion of Thomas looking slightly away helped him not to focus for too long, I know that will be fine with some more work - thank you :)

Any further suggestions please? xx :)

11. snowbunny

I'd forget the whistle for now and just work on getting his outrun to the bowl enthusiastic. Do this without Thomas to start off, so he knows he's going to get it, then slowly introduce Thomas again. Some dogs do well if set up and then physically restrained (gently, obviously!) while "riling him up" a bit - "reeeeeadddddyyyy??? steaaaaaddddyyyyyy..... GO!!!!". Only when he's really enthusiastic about the run start introducing the whistle again.

I assume you're using top banana treats in the bowl?

charlie likes this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

OK, no whistle or Thomas, he will be pleased :D Great he does love a "ready steady" game so that could work. Yep great treats in the bowl :) I will try that. Thanks Fiona I appreciate your help. x

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh now that was SO much faster, much enthusiasm :) x

Beanwood and snowbunny like this.
  14. snowbunny

Glad to hear it, Helen! So just try to keep that enthusiasm while you fade the "ready steady". Repeat for a few sessions then reintroduce Thomas. If you have to, go back to ready steady at that stage. Only when he's running with enthusiasm with Thomas there should you bring the whistle back in, and then, only once in every few goes. He shouldn't be able to anticipate the whistle, so have it in your mouth whether or not you're going to use it - mine pick up on that and get sticky when I have the whistle in my mouth!