Forcing toilet help

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Katjush, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Hi all. I haven't posted in a while , but I have been reading esp as we have entered full on the "adolescent" phase where my baby has turned in to a hell pup So my problem is Aramis was only given the full clean bill of health for all his probs six or so weeks ago so I don't think it's physical, but what I'm noticing is everytime I take him out for a lead walk he's almost forcing himself to do a number two. Even if he's just done one before we left he will do one on the walk. I've tried mixing up times of his walks to see if he needs to go when he's just chilling at home, but nope. Yet, within ten/fifteen minutes of being out he's going. It's got to the point on some walks where there is obviously nothing there, and he's forcing out just dribbles of almost fluid. It's worrying me a little as he's had so many digestive problems that he is going to do some damage, and I was wondering if anyone could help?
    As an added incentive I've included some updated pics .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edp, Samantha Jones and drjs@5 like this.
  2. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Sorry I don't have anything helpful to say but Aramis is a beautiful looking dog. Love his black nose and markings around his nose and eyes :heart:.

Katjush likes this.
  3. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

I'm sure sometimes when he's at his utter worse that's what saves him It's impossible to be mad at something so lovely .

Rosie and drjs@5 like this.
  4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I think doing extra poos on walks is usually down to excitement and all the exercise, so nothing to worry about. Both mine always go when out for a walk even when they've already been at home. If his unproductive straining carries on maybe have a word with your vet.

He's gorgeous by the way! :)

Katjush likes this.
  5. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Ahh thank you for the reassurance, we've never had a dog that has done this before so have been left stumped by it all.

6. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I haven't had direct experience of this, but if you think he's straining at all, and the poos are a bit hard, you could try adding a small amount of olive oil to his food, my vet recommended this and I do this if monty ever seems slightly constipated.

Have you been rewarding a lot for toileting on walks? Just a thought that he might be trying to go more often if he views it as a very rewarding behaviour from you?

But otherwise, sorry, I don't have direct experience of this, hope it passes quickly if you'll excuse the pun :)

Katjush likes this.
  7. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

The poos aren't hard, infact they are looser than he is doing when he's just going well what seems naturally if that makes sense? Nope we've never rewarded for going to toilet on walks, and as he's been house trained from when we brought him home bar a few accidents when he was at his poorliest we've never had to really reward for going out either.
    He's a bit behind when it comes to actual walking bcos of how ill he has been, and having his jabs postponed so many times that I do wonder if like a poster said above it may be extreme excitement. We were very careful with making sure he was exposed to everything, and it has paid off with how he's not fussed by traffic, other dogs etc but maybe it's still the newness of actually being out on his own steam kind of thing. It is the straining that worries me most though.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Exercise definitely does it for Lilly.
    Always manages to squeeze something out, though she isn't distressed and always formed, even if pretty soft.
    Have you mentioned it to your vet, just in case?

Katjush likes this.
  9. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

See that does sound like Aramis, he's not distressed as such just so set on getting something out. No not yet, the past six weeks are by far the longest we have gone without a trip to them, and I thought I would look for a bit of help here first.

drjs@5 likes this.
  10. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Bailey used to do this when younger - especially when we walked with other dogs. He seemed to think as he saw the other dogs go he had to too! Also he now does not go in the garden at all and only on walks.

Katjush likes this.
  11. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, all my (5) dogs have done it a various degree. Its a combination of excitement and marking I think...I just ignore it. Boys I find have been worse than my girls :)

Katjush likes this.
  12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I am sure Pongo uses this as a way of marking. He will select a spot for a poo very, very carefully, lots of sniffing and careful positioning :rolleyes: , and then sometimes have to work pretty hard to produce anything. Occasionally we get what you are describing - just a little fluid - and I've wondered if that is anal gland fluid being used as a marker.

On long exciting walks when he has been marking so many trees that he has run out of ink (!) he will almost always try for a poo as an alternative...

And excitement always, always results in a poo of some sort.

Katjush likes this.
  13. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Ah thank you for the replies , I think you guys on here have solved it thank god. He's not started marking yet so maybe this is his alternative instead, bloody messy one though :rolleyes:

Rosie likes this.
  14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a great phrase!

Rosie likes this.