Fox Red Labrador - Aggressive Behaviour

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by SPR1968, Apr 18, 2023.

1. SPR1968

SPR1968 Registered Users

Hi

We’ve had Pip, a handsome devil, since he was a puppy and he’s now 3 1/2 years old. He’s neutered as we live in a rural area and didn’t want him wandering, and we also thought it might help with any aggression. He was from a pedigree breeder and had all the paperwork etc and family history.

He’s done the zoomies for a while which started as a pup and it wasn’t any real concern when he was little.

He’s now fully grown and the random zoomies happens from time to time, but now he tends to basically run around the garden and then he goes into attack mode we’re he’s jumping up, snapping and snarling at both myself and my wife. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious trigger, maybe we just look at him funny!

The garden is large, trees etc., we are always wandering around it, working etc so although he could see it as his territory, it’s not like we don’t go on it, and most of the time he’s fine.

His general temperament is loving, he’s rarely away from one of us, and loves the time in our touring caravan as he’s spends even more time with us both.

The issue is manageable in autumn/winter because we have coats to protect our arms etc., but with spring and summer here, we are back to the issue of getting scratched or worse. We normally diffuse it by saying ‘where’s your ball’ which often stops him as he snaps out of the behaviour and thinks, where’s my ball.

I’m actually concerned he may catch one of us at some point, either accidentally or worse on purpose.

I honestly don’t know what to do or what’s wrong with him, I’m thinking it could just be a mental issue and we jokingly say, his screws fallen out again!

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts ?

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, do you think it could be over zealous play ? At his age he will be full of beans no doubt, so maybe he is bored and wanting to play. Do you do much training with him, how much exercise does he get ? Maybe upping both of those things might lead to him being calmer. Just a thought!

CeeCee and SPR1968 like this.
  3. SPR1968

SPR1968 Registered Users

Thats pretty much what ive always said about it, hes full of beans and just wants to play all the time which he does. Its just very difficult when your attacked with snarling, foaming and teeth out.

He gets about 1 hour of exercise a day but weather permitting we are outside with him most if the time

He was sat in the garden a few days ago, I got out of a chair to go down the garden and he just snapped and started again for no apparent reason.

For the last few years we usually take a stick or something with us just for protection!

Maybe we just need to try and tire him out a bit more…….

4. Dawn Neely McGinty

Dawn Neely McGinty Registered Users

I’m very glad I saw this. Our (2 year old black) lab does the same thing. He has done this since he was a puppy but now he is large it comes across as quite aggressive to anyone watching. He mouths which he is doing it. Not every time we are in the garden but quite a lot during the summer. He is a very lovely dog otherwise.

Please keep me up to date if you receive any advice regarding this.

5. SPR1968

SPR1968 Registered Users

Will do and if anyone experts have any ideas Im all ears

Most of the time he’s a loving loyal dog sitting next to us and basically never out of site.

Then, bang, he snaps and goes into attack mode in the garden. If anyone was watching it would look like a full on attack!

He did it at the seaside/beach once as well but he was on a long lead and I had gloves on so managed to control him

6. Dawn Neely McGinty

Dawn Neely McGinty Registered Users

Exact same as our boy. I have had to hold him down before. He is exhausted after. I’m not sure how it comes on. I can’t work out the triggers.

If you don’t mind me asking. Has yours been castrated? I’ve had people say it may be a testosterone thing?

7. SPR1968

SPR1968 Registered Users

Yes he was castrated as a puppy, probably why he hates us! Lol. Was supposed to calm him down

Weve spoken to a friend who trains/has a prison officers dog and they said to try a basket muzzle when hes in the garden

This will obviously stop any biting but also train him that he isn’t going to get his own way charging around the garden. We will also be able to work in the garden without any issues.

8. LabMom2022

LabMom2022 Registered Users

My 2 year old spayed female lab does this too still and only in our backyard. My kids are not alone outside with her and I tell pet sitters to stay near the porch steps in case she goes into her zoomies. I actually had one trainer tell me she is dangerous and I should get rid of her. Thankfully I found this forum 2 years ago and learned this was normal lab behavior and I’m not alone. She can sometimes be mouthy inside and sometimes may start biting my arm or leg (but not with the same intensity as the zoomie attack bites). I can manage the indoor biting by giving her 1.5 hours of exercise. I’m currently dealing with the zoomie attacks as she just had TPLO surgery and has to be crated for 8 weeks. So now I can’t run for safety and need to hold her down so she doesn’t reinjure her knee (while she bites my arm and hands, spinning and twisting …). It has been very stressful and I’ve shed lots of tears. Waiting for the day we can be out back with her and not worry about getting attacked!

9. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Sorry this is so hard for you :(. Is it an option perhaps to temporarily fence off a much smaller area of the yard for her, so she can't get up any speed, and you can step away?