Frequent Urination

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JB, Jun 13, 2019.

1. JB

JB Registered Users

I’m not sure if this falls under health or behavior. Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum. I’m not even sure that it’s a problem. I just want to get some feedback.

My 12 week old lab leaves his crate in the morning, goes directly outside, and immediately urinates. Then I bring him back inside and feed him and of course he drinks a lot of water. I take him out again because he immediately needs to poo after eating. Sometime he’ll urinate then as well.

The issue then is about an hour later he needs to urinate every 10-15 mins. He is pretty well housetrained. He’ll actually go to the back door and sit if he needs to go. However, during this morning period if I’m not right there to open the door he goes on the floor in front of the door. He’ll only go a little because he’s trying to hold it. Then I’ll take him out and he’ll go. I’ll walk him around a bit because sometimes he goes 2-3 times like he’s not emptying his bladder all the way. But the last time he goes I’m almost sure he’s done as the stream gets weaker and then drips. But after being back inside he has to go again 10-15 mins later. He needs to do this 4-5 times.

Now I realize he’s young and I realize that he’s drinking a lot of water and things run through him. I just want to make sure that there’s nothing that I should be worried about. This really doesn’t happen at any other time a day but that is probably because there’s no other time that he drinks so much water at one time. I appreciate any thoughts you all may have.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Are yoyu feeding him dry food? This can make them thiro drinking large quantities of water.

3. JB

JB Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I am feeding him dry food, though I was putting a little water in it.

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

It might be possible that he has a UTI, as a symptom of UTI is frequency of urination, not fully emptying on urination etc... so have a chat with your vet. You may need to give them a urine sample to check...

Once you've determined it's not caused by a physical issue, then you can focus on training and behaviour.