Frightened to break puppy's sleeping pattern

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rae, May 12, 2017.

1. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Hi everyone,
    Theres one thing that I am slightly worried about before getting my puppy in 5 weeks time.
    There are 4 of us in the house, with 3 of us waking up early to go to work.
    One leaves home at 3.40am 3 days a week (so only part time)... But that timing is the one thats my main concern.
    Our front door is relatively loud. Will this really disturb pup? Should I get up then myself to sit with him or will that get us into a routine of doing that? Will he get used to it? I'm really not sure what to do. Will he even wake up?
    After the 3.40am (3 days a week), the next one to leave is at 5.20am (6 days a week), followed by 6.10am (5 days a week).
    I will do whatever will make sure the pup is settled and feels safe - I just don't know how to take on this. It is my one concern.
    Any advice would be much appreciated! I know other pups that have always slept through doors shutting etc.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Its a little bit like new Mums and Dads who wont flush the toilet at night in case it wakes the baby ! So , just carry on with your normal routine , I would say , he might hear and fret for a minute, but he will soon get used to what goes on in your household . If you go and sit with him , this will create a pattern which will be hard to break , so whilst trying to ensure that the early risers don't make too much of a racket , don't worry too much about it , he will adjust , and good luck with your puppy x

Plum's mum, Karen and Rae like this.
  3. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Thanks Kate, I keep worrying about it! I'm lucky the early risers aren't very noisy... Hopefully he'll be okay :)

kateincornwall likes this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`m sure he will ! It takes most pups a little time to adjust to new surroundings , but keeping as relaxed as possible around him, will make it easier , its natural to worry x

Rae likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Echoing what Kate just said... We've had our pup for five days, and he has very quickly got used to the noises in the house. Someone getting up to use the loo in the night doesn't wake him, for instance. He'll probably wake up the first couple of times, but he'll very soon be used to your schedule. Don't worry too much, you can't really cover all eventualities in advance as each puppy is different and you'll have to go with the flow a bit :)

Rae likes this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Yep, I'd go with advice already given, plus I'd say the early risers need to be as quiet and matter of fact around him as possible. Mind you at that time of day what else would you be?
    My own opinion is that it's good for them to grow up with a varying timings, I've always mixed up Cassie's morning schedule so she doesn't get food/exercise/sleep in same order everyday at set times. As long as all their needs are met.

Rae likes this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My brother lives with us and leaves the house two hours before we get up. He uses the bathroom etc but doesn't turn any lights on downstairs, he uses his phone torch in the winter.

None of my pups (five) have woken when he leaves the house.

:)

Rae likes this.
  8. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

I wouldn't worry.

Our terrorist has been with us for 2+ weeks and has coped excellently with comings and goings at different times - some staying up late to watch the ice hockey championship, people going for a pee in the night, etc.. He just opens one eye as someone passes his nest, and closes it again quite soon, and back to dreaming about endless sticks, pine cones and random pieces of chewable birch bark.

Plum's mum, Rae and selina27 like this.
  9. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

I would agree with what has already been said - Bailey from 8 weeks old when he came home with us has always slept through the night, not even stirring when I get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night - now he wakes me up around 6.30am/7am to come downstairs so we can cuddle on the settee until 8am when he goes back upstairs to bed! Hey ho!

Each pup is different - my sisters boy has to have a look and see who's moving around but goes back to his bed once he knows who is up, my boy unless he wants to wake up will be snoring for England! Don't worry these little balls of fur and teeth very quickly adapt to your routines.

Good luck with your new pup - boy or girl? Do you have a name yet? How exciting for you :)

Rae likes this.
  10. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Thank you! I feel a lot better now after the comments I've received so thanks a lot :) He is a black boy, currently named Tom by the breeder but not sure what I will call him yet! x

11. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

My OH leaves for work some days at 530 am, comes home on others at 6 am. Up until 12 weeks old I used the 530 am departure to take Xena to the loo - no games, no talking, no excitement - then popped her back in her crate until I got up at 7. At 12 weeks I stopped getting up. At first she cried for a wee at 535, then 545, then 6 (I'd get up of course) but I think within the week she was sleeping through until I got up. I have no idea if she actually woke up when OH left at 530 because she was in her crate in the corner of the living room and he ignored her, but she must've just learnt the routine - oh there's dad getting his lunch, oh light's turned off again, not time to get up yet I guess. You can definitely use the early departures as wee breaks when your boy is a little pup, then you can stretch it to the 520 departure etc. Depending on your puppy he might even hold on all night from a very early age.

Rae likes this.