Fussy dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Elize, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Elize

Elize Registered Users

hello I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help I have recently rescued a lab he is 9 months and he was fed fresh food but he doesn’t seem to take interest to it now we have tried biscuits and he turns his nose up to it we have tried lots of different food for him but he seems to turn his nose up to them all but he doesn’t turn his nose up to canned food but we don’t want to be feeding him that as I have heard it not good for him at all and it gives him a very bad belly if any one could help I would appreciate anything

2. Athena

Athena Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum. I thought I was the only one with a fussy eater, though Johnny is a lab hound mix.

When did you adopt him? Is it possible his eating is part of adjusting to his new home? How fast does he eat? Some labs eat so quickly they vomit unless fed with a slow feeder.

I think your first stop might be a visit to your vet to check his weight and review feeding. Ask the vet if wet food is inappropriate for your dog, discuss his bad belly, and get advice. Some dogs do better with a single protein source. What you want to avoid is changing things willy-nilly without a plan.

That said, the only time Johnny ate kibble was the night we brought him home when he hadn't eaten for 24 hours having been neutered that morning. By trial end error (and wasted money according to OH), we found a kibble he liked which we mixed with either canned salmon, boiled chicken, ground beef, cottage cheese, or canned dog food. I try to aim for about 3/4 kibble and 1/4 added food. His appetite still varies a lot: one day he eats two full meals and is clearly wanting more (which he gets) and other days he eats a single meal and leaves some in the dish. His appetite is much less in the recent awful heat where we live.