G’day from Loki in Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Pete and Jo and Loki, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Pete and Jo and Loki

Pete and Jo and Loki Registered Users

Hi Guys.
    First post to introduce ourselves to the forum. We are first time puppy owners and were chosen by Loki when he walked up and introduced himself to us during our visit to the breeder. He crawled into my lap and was an instant member of our family! We’ve never owned pets of any description before, but after having Loki for only a week, we know we’re in for an amazing journey. He’s settled in with us extremely well, and has taken to training like a champ. I’ve read Labs are a very intelligent breed, but I’m convinced Loki is at genius level. After three days we had him sitting, leaving treats alone until allowed to take them, sitting at the door until we have entered first and invited him in, and even chasing a ball and bringing it back. He seems to soak up what we want him to learn, and his desire to please us is extremely obvious. We do have some issues to work on though. He likes to chew on my hand and fingers, and seems to have learned it’s ok with me, but not with my wife (I’m sure that’s my fault though, as I do encourage the rough play). He also gulps his food very fast, which results in hiccups, and in one scary moment, it seemed he was trying to vomit. I’ve since learned about ‘bloat’ from this forum, and we will be taking the necessary steps to slow him down at meal time. Travelling in the car will take some practice, but we plan on doing regular trips with him once he’s fully vaccinated and allowed to venture to the beach, the park and on walks in public. My wife is going to have to learn to cope with her OCD regarding doggy hair and a perfectly clean floor, and the noticeable doggy odours that permeate the house every now and then. She learned to live with me though, so I know she can do it! I’m sure we’ll have questions for the group in the near future, and we’re looking forward to the accumulated knowledge in a forum such as this. So far though, it’s been relatively smooth sailing, and it feels like Loki has been a member of our family forever. We couldn’t imagine him not being here now.