gaungy eyes

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by caroleb, Sep 17, 2012.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

For the last few days Rusty's eyes have been very "wet" and mucky first thing in the morning. They clean up fine and it doesn't seem to come back. My friend says he thinks it'll all the seed & dust in the air from the fields and I must admit even my eyes have watered some days and I'm not hay fever prone. What does anyone else think? Not worry or get a vet check? He's not bothered by it at all.

2. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Re: gaungy eyes

sorry that heading started as gammy, moved to gungy and got a x breed word

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Carole, I think if it were me I would just wipe his eyes for a couple of days and see if it stops. If his eyes are red and sore, then go to the vet's. Similarly, if it doesnt clear up after the next bout of rain (to settle the dust), then I'd go to the vet.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi Carole , our Vet swears by bathing with used ( but still a bit wet ) cooled tea bags , it works :)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Most humans with conjunctivitis expect to get an antibiotic, but in actual fact, unless there is a lot of redness of the white of the eye, or swelling of the lids, just bathing and possibly a lubricant is all they (should) need.
    Not much experience in dogs, but the few times Lilly has had weepy eyes, they settled as quickly with the antibiotic drops as without, and less stressful for both of us not having to put drops in.
    Jacqui

6. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Bathing with boiled salty water works well for conjunctivitis in people. One swipe in one direction per cotton wool ball, so you aren't reinfecting it.

But honestly it does sound like its the dust rather than an infection - as lomg as hes not rubbing at it, then I'm with Karen - see if it's settled by the rain...

Does he seem to care about it...?

7. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

thanks - no he doesn't seem bothered and generally I'm a fan of minimal intervention I think I just had an attack of the "panicky puppy parent". My mum used cold teabags on my eyes a lot when I was a kid - I was prone to very gummy eyes and styes too - I'd forgotten until tea bags were mentioned :eek:

8. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Hi Carole

I've used cucumber juice and slices of cucumber for a lab with gooey eyes as a result of lots of dust (we live opposite a hay field on a dusty lane) and for soreness from a wart right on the eyelid, the juice was dropped right into the corner of the eye for that one (under my vet's advice), it did seem to ease the irritation and Bracken never complained, would come quite happily for me to drop it in. She ate the slices when I'd done! Maybe it was the bribe ;)

9. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

hmm cucumber - even a tiny bit gives barney horrendous wind - I think I'd rather risk an attempt at eating a tea bag! :'( (thats an eye watery icon as opposed to sad icon in this case! ) I know that nothing is going near his face without him attempting to eat it!

Oops 1 minute past 4 - Barney is letting me know I'm late with dinner!!!

10. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Ah, better stick with tea bags then. The only thing worse than a windy lab is a windy wolfhound, able to clear a room in 30seconds flat ;)