Gentle word of caution - laser pointers

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by kateincornwall, Sep 21, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

An update on this subject . Nelly was at the Vets this morning as she had a strange turn last night , it would seem to have been a small seizure . We have been working very hard to break her of this obsession with lights , shadows, reflections but its not easy when it is so deep rooted . Yesterday it was very windy here , and her attention was focussed on moving leaves , she got herself into such a state that I had to pop her lead on and take her home as she was panting heavily . She then began to " fly bite " which is quite distressing to see as its almost like she is convinced that something is buzzing around her little head and will snap at this imaginary object . We distracted her pretty quickly whereupon she began to pant again . Our Vet has given her a thorough examination , its nothing physical , but all part of the OCD behaviour caused, we are both sure, by the constant use of these blasted laser pens by one of her previous owners . So , distract and more distract , whatever it takes really . She is such a happy little bunny , her tail always wagging ten to the dozen , what a crying shame that someone has caused this behaviour . Thankfully, today she is fine , it isn't windy and so we shall soon head out for a walk , me and my pals xx

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Really sad to hear poor Nell is so affected. It must be distressing for you as well as her xx

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Poor little lady :(
    She's lucky to be with someone who cares as much as you, Kate. Does the vet see any benefit in medicating for a short while, or is it too sporadic to consider going down that route? I'm just wondering if something like that could break the habit and almost force a "reboot", if you understand my meaning.

4. kateincornwall

Vet ( and us ) doesn't want to medicate at the moment . She has always done this fly biting , but its worse when there are no lights or shadows to play with, so we do believe it to be an OCD issue . Trouble is that these behaviours can be very deep rooted and the devils own to break , poor love but she is a happy little soul and so worth all the effort x

5. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Poor Nelly. It's upsetting to think that this obsession has been caused through mishandling by previous owners. I hope she enjoyed her walk today.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh Kate I am sorry, poor little Nell... Luckily she now, at last, has the right owners who will love her and care for her properly. xxx

snowbunny likes this.
  7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope she's ok. I live with a person who has OCD it's no joke.hopefully you will be able to modify her behavior it just takes time.hugs to you all

8. kateincornwall

Thank you for your lovely words xx Nell is quite calm today , we had a smashing walk, the three of us . I love that we always raise a smile from other walkers , for my Odd Couple , sauntering along side by side ! Never for one second will we regret rehoming our little scruff pup , hard it is at times but Paul and I often refer to ourselves as Time Millionaires !

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Do you find that since you have had her that her obsessions are getting a little less? I read an article that 'fly biting' can be due to pain somewhere? She sounds a happy little soul most of the time x

10. kateincornwall

We think that the light chasing is a little less than it was , in fact most of the obsessive behaviour is lessened , its just that when she is in the zone , she really gets herself into a state ! If we quickly distract her , she complies and reverts to being " normal " .

Stacia likes this.