Get off my bed!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by deadandchocolatey, Aug 13, 2017.

1. deadandchocolatey

deadandchocolatey Registered Users

Hi everyone!

9 month old Stampy, currently rolling around on my floor, fighting with a blanket (the blanket is winning), sleeps in my room these days and I love it. He's brilliant throughout the night and doesn't wake up until 6:30, when I need to get up anyway.

My only complaint is that he puts his front paws up on my bed and sometimes even tries to jump up. He only does this when and I'm in bed. He understands "get off" and I reward him for sitting down, but I'm wondering if anyone has some solid tips on getting those little paws off my bed for good.

Hope everyone is well :heart:

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Does he have a bed in your room? Have you taught him to go to his bed? Quinn is allowed on our bed, but if we want her off or out of the way for any reason we tell her to go to her bed, which is in our room near our bed. We shaped this with a clicker when she was 4 months and reinforced it with a treat for a long time.

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer will get up in our bed while we are getting ready for bed then jumps down to his own bed next to ours. I'm not sure how we actually trained this, I think we all got fed up with not having enough space for all three of us. I think he eventually realised that his own bed was more comfortable.

4. MF

MF Registered Users

You might find - like us - that you like him ON the bed!! At first our boy was not allowed on. He had his own bed. Now we encourage him on the bed, love sleeping altogether, are disappointed when he chooses his own bed instead!

Jes72 likes this.
  5. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

For months our Boy would constantly put his paw up on our bed and on the couch in an attempt to get up. I could never figure out why it started and then I found out my mom would put him on her lap when she came over to sit with him. Then I found out my wife had him up on the bed while I was away. He was a small puppy at the time but he started pawing soon after as they grow so quick. I have no solid advice for you other than to be vigilant and don't give in, eventually the behaviour will become extinct. When he did it to us on the couch I just stood up and did a small loop around the kitchen and then returned to sit. Eventually he just gave up because paw meant I went away so he stopped. Sorry I can't help anymore.

Me and my dog likes this.
  6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Sometimes our dogs set up their own routines and ways about them that we adapt our lives to.

selina27 likes this.
  7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

No advice I'm afraid.......I love Harley sleeping with us and get disappointed when she gets down.

Sven, MF and drjs@5 like this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Umm - no advice. The first time Coco broke the "no dogs on the bed" rule, we gave in. We have no room and wake up cramped and uncomfortable.....but Coco is happy.

Sven and MF like this.
  9. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Nope sorry no advice - I love Bailey snuggles too much to make him get off my bed. My OH who was absolutely a no dog on the bed person has adapted - and we both miss him if he's decides to sleep on his own bed

MF likes this.
  10. MF

MF Registered Users

We actually bought a king size extra length bed to accommodate us all. Very comfy!

Sven likes this.
  11. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Yes we are looking into a new bed. I tend to wake up with part of the duna off me and a face staring at me. Once my eyes are just a fraction opened I get a big lick and someone moves and sits on my head. Until I say 'right' and she moves to look and see if my feet are moving out. If no movement she is back licking me...oh the joy of sleep.

Me and my dog, Samantha Jones and MF like this.