Getting a second dog for 8 month old Lab. Looking for answers

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Mommadog, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Mommadog

Mommadog Registered Users

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I thought this would be a good place to seek some advice. We currently have an 8 month old lab. He has been around dogs his whole life except for two weeks when we moved to a new house. We had a dog for a couple months we had to re-home bc she was very bad with our cats. We also fostered a dog for a week who was a two year old male, both are neutered and they were never aggressive but definitely rough play. So now that the foster is gone our dog is acting a little sad and I have found two dogs , one is being fostered and the other would be from their previous owner straight to us. One is a female lab who's 8 and not spayed and the other is a male basset/beagle who's 6-7 and is neutered. Both are up to date on shots with vet proof and heartworm negative and on prevention. So my question is.. Does it always have to be opposite sex for the second dog or if they are both neutered males several years apart is that fine? Obviously a basset is pretty laid back so I'm hoping he would play some with my dog but not rowdy constantly like our foster was. Our dog is not really hyper on his own but is with other dogs. Thoughts??

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

They don't have to be opposite sex. Neutered or not, most Labs will get along with most other Labs. Really true of most dogs, not just Labs, but Labs and other Gun Dogs were bred to get along with other dogs.

Mommadog likes this.
  3. Mommadog

Mommadog Registered Users

Thank you for the advice! The one we are probably getting is the boy but he's neutered and is older so I'm hoping they'll be friends without competition

4. Leslie Pheasant

Leslie Pheasant Registered Users

I had a similar question. My lab is almost 2 and we're thinking of getting another dog as a companion for her. I dog sat an 8 yr old pit, who is very sweet, and Tillie has spent time at this dog's house before, but I noticed that my Tillie was pretty jealous. Is this what will happen if I decide to get another dog for our household?

5. iconic1

iconic1 Registered Users

Good thread. Would LOVE to get another, a rehome or rescue lab, with our 3 yo yellow boy. Our daughter (older with her own home) is currently lab-crazy about getting her own so if she does, we will do doggy daycare for her while she and her boyfriend work. Best of all worlds...we get the fun (mostly) while she pays and takes the dog home at the end of the day!

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.