Getting a second labrador puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Winee25, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Winee25

Winee25 Registered Users

Hello,
    I already have a 4.5 months female labrador and I always wanted to have 2 or 3 dogs (all colours of the labrador).
    I just need some advices.

Current dog is a golden female lab of 4.5 months. She is very active and likes to play.

I often go to my mum's place where there are two male dogs, an 8 months small breed dog and a 3.5 months rescue stray dog (we dont know yet if he will be large or medium in size).
    They do not like to play with my dog, i think, because she tends to jump on them. She is bigger than them. I feel really sad because she really really wants to play with them.

That is one of the other reasons i want another dog.

Could you please help me with the below queries?

1. Since i already have a Lab, it is better to get another Lab itself?
    2. Is it better to wait that my dog, Sera, is at the recommended 1 or 2 years old, to take another lab?
    3. She is a female lab. Should I take another female or male dog?
    4. If a take a male, should i neuter him and sterilize Sera? I have have mixed feelings about this issue...Please note that I am not looking to be a breeder but i only want dogs in my family.
    5. If i take a male, should they stay separately when eating and sleeping?

I would be extremely grateful if you could please give me some advice and also those who already have more than one lab, how is it really, how do you manage? Please give me some advice or tips etc.
    Thank you a lot.
    Best regards!

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi there,

This article one our main site won't answer all your questions, but it might give you some food for thought while you're waiting for more responses (I don't have any firsthand experience myself I'm afraid!)

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do!