Getting Humped

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by QuinnM15, Mar 1, 2017.

1. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

OH and I have been debating about how to handle Quinn getting humped by other dogs. This has been something that seems to happen almost every time we have her around other dogs - she gets humped and her hackles go up and tail between legs and she tries to run, but will never tell off another dog.

It probably bothers us more than her, but it interferes with her running around, playing fetch etc and it's annoying. If the owner doesn't step in, I have removed other dogs off Quinn and if it persists, I leave. Mainly times when she can't get away. I don't like that we always have to leave, as I think it's good to keep her socialized with other dogs a couple times a week. OH says I should not be touching other people's dogs. This morning he asked another owner to pay attention to his dog and not allow it to persist, but the owner did nothing, so he left.

I'm not sure if she gives off some sort of scent (she is spayed) or maybe she is just so beautiful the boys can't resist her:cwl: I wish she would be a bit more confident and deal with it in dog language!

How do people handle this?

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I don't have any advice. It just to say I feel your pain.

Stanley is the humper and it drives me mad! I always call him off but he's a nightmare.

I'm hoping his neutering might help!

He'd definitely go for Quinn though - she's so pretty :inlove:

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

How irritating! It really is bad form for other dog owners to allow their dogs to hump yours, absolutely unacceptable. It is a bit odd that such a high number of dogs you meet have this inclination towards Quinn. Maybe a quick check by the vet to have her ears and err bottom/lady bits, as certain infections, such as yeast, can mean your dog gives off an unusual scent.

Jojo83 likes this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would definitely be pulling other dogs off mine if my dog and the other owners did nothing. Luckily, Willow won't tolerate this and tells the humper off.

I agree with Kate, though - a vet check may be in order to rule out an infection.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  5. QuinnM15

If the owner is paying attention then there is no issue! Plus Stanley is a puppy - he's forgiven! It's more the older, aggressive types - on the weekend two were fighting over her, one at each end!!!

6. QuinnM15

We have a vet appointment on Friday, so I will bring this up - good advice.

7. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Very strange that so many are paying that kind of attention to her. Curious what the vet will say.

How rude of people to not step in! Axel used to be TERRIBLE before he got neutered. I couldn't even take him near dogs anymore because it didn't matter the size or sex of the dog, he would hump right away. But I always pulled Axel off, I had a limit of three times. Once he reached the third time we would leave. Owners would always say 'oh it's ok mine doesn't care' .... pretty sure their dog would prefer not to have a 42kg dog on their back end.

Now that he's neutered he doesn't hump anymore unless he's over tired, which has happened twice in two months, the difference is I call him off from a distance and he listens straight away. Before being neutered not a chance, I had to lift him off.

How old is Quinn? Axel has just started to tell dogs off when they hump him and he's 14 months

8. QuinnM15

She's 15 months today - she may very well get more confidence as she gets older. She will nudge off a puppy or smaller dog (or ignore and continue running around). She has always been more timid of larger dogs, rough play, and loud barking so I'm not sure she will get to the point of telling a big dog off for humping...we can hope!

I'm impressed that you can call Axel off!

9. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I'm with @Beanwood it is totally unacceptable to allow your dog to hump another. I do sympathise @QuinnM15 my girl is very similar and will not tell another dog off that tries to hump her. She usually tries to escape and comes to me to protect her. From your description of her hackles going up and tail between her legs she is bothered by it - even if she isn'the vocal etc in telling the other dogs off! I don't hesitate to step in where my dog is concerned and is on the receiving end of unwanted attention.

QuinnM15 likes this.
  10. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Yes, maybe as she gets older she will get the confidence. I was amazed how many dogs didn't tell Axel off before he was neutered, that being said, I was on him right away to remove him, so maybe they would have but I wasn't going to wait to find out.

11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Double ditto, yeasty ears and other smells can prompt other dogs to hump yours. I think you are perfectly entitled to remove a dog from on top of yours if the other owner won't oblige.

Oban has never, ever humped another dog and he's surprisingly tolerant when they try it on him. I have told a couple of owners if they let their dog persist mine will eventually tell theirs off but when he does it's pretty mild, a snarl, a bark a snap.

It's funny who they choose to hump. Three people warned me about a big, black dog who was nasty and humped theirs. When we finally met up with him he was fine, friendly and did not hump. But a lady and man came as we owners spoke and the big, black dog went for the little female Boxer and her owner squealed and hit the big dog and chased it off. Meanwhile the big, black dog's owner just stood there and watched.

12. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

There are a couple of female dogs who mine humps every time he meets them. They aren't spayed, and for some reason he is always interested in them, sniffing then humping. If we meet one on a walk, I just say hi and bye very quickly before he has time to remember!

I can't recall him mid-hump, so I also have to physically remove him if he starts. I'd be very happy for someone else to remove him if they got there first!

QuinnM15 likes this.
  13. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Holly was a victim of humping when she was younger. She's a fairly quiet-natured dog so she would slink away and try to avoid it. As she's grown older and become more self-confident she has become more inclined to send off warning signs with persistent dogs. Her first reaction, like Quinn, is to put her tail between her legs and try to get away. If that doesn't work she will turn to face the other dog. On a few occasions I've seen her show her teeth, which is very out-of-character for her.

SwampDonkey and QuinnM15 like this.
  14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Moo won't have it ever she might be small but she skoots out of the way and shows her teeth she is very confident and Doug would do the same but I don't think many tried he had an air of total confidence. Rory got jumped by an obese lab rottie cross and he only told the dog off when he'd tried politely to get him off. I was just about to get him off myself. It was the owner not the dog that irritated she was happy that my dog snapped and growled at her dog at her. We had a talk about it and I explained why it wasn't happy about fat boy jumping Rory and upsetting him to the point off aggresion . I told her he was her dog and that it wasn't fare for her to use my dog to educate hers to behave that was her job.I pointed out that with some dogs this could have ended badly. Rory was upset he is not a confident dog and i don't want him upset like this and learn aggression is a way to get what you want. when my boys try they are called off or removed straight away

QuinnM15 likes this.
  15. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

This happens to Alfie all the time but he's too nice to do anything about it. He just waits for me to rescue him. I do sometimes wish he would tell the other dog off but he won't :(.

QuinnM15 likes this.
  16. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam is just the same , it happens from time to time and he is just mortified , wont retaliate at all , so its up to me to intervene . What I truly dislike are the owners of the humpers who seems to find it amusing , it isn't .

Beckyt6, QuinnM15 and SwampDonkey like this.
  17. QuinnM15

Agreed - especially when it is obviously distressing the humpee :(

SwampDonkey and kateincornwall like this.
  18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It wouldn't offend me if someone removed my humping dog from their humpee. Coco does it in play, but if we don't get there to get him off, then yes, victim's owner help yourself. It's not really acceptable. He is sometimes the victim, I wouldn't hesitate to remove the humper.

Belle was very vociferous in her disapproval of being mounted. She'd been caught out once and became very snappy at humpers. Tail between legs, sit down. If that fails, she got her teeth out and snarled & snapped - never any contact.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  19. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Vanilla seems to be more in the habbit of sitting down ears pinned back or roll over with tail between of she got caught by surprise. I have no problem pulling dogs off if I had to, but I found it to be easier to throw a handfull of treats as I get their attention. She will then get up and walk/run away in a different direction