Girls vs Boys

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JenBainbridge, Nov 30, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes, I hadn't even thought about that. Pretty obvious once it's pointed out :D

Exactly the same in the human world, of course. And, luckily, in the human world, of those who choose to share their homes with another human, around half choose that human to be female and half male. It doesn't make either "better" (except at specific tasks, like taking the lids off jars), just "different" :)

drjs@5 and JulieT like this.
  2. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

I don't know how it goes over there but in the states the sex of the dog depends on the type of hunting you do. For example if you are out there in big water tackling Canada geese, a large, powerful male would usually be better than a female. On the other hand if you are duck hunting in marshy land, you'd be better suited opting for a smaller female. Of course there are exceptions... I've also heard that a lot of hunters and handlers prefer females because they are easier to work with and tend to be less immature/headstrong. The evidence supports this as females are sometimes sold out first in field-line litters and priced a couple hundred more than males.

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I was speaking to Ella's breeder about this the other day (she breeds pet labs only so no 'work' experience) but she mentioned that she'd noticed this over the years. She said it's obviously not true for all dogs but it's been the general trend she's observed.

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

This is why I've preferred my boys - goofy clowns. :D But I would have a female as well now without hesitation - just as fun, just in a different way!