Giving your dogs medication

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by drjs@5, Aug 18, 2014.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly swallows her Cod Liver oil capsule with Gusto.
    Gobbles her Previcox anti-inflammatory without a blink.
    Even swallowed the new horse-pill Bravecto with barely a pause.
    So why is it so bloomin' hard to get her to take the wormers! They must taste REALLY bad :-\

Our Drontyl arrived this morning (we are rather late). Lovely appealing BONE shaped tablets. Dainty. Apparently palatable ::)
    1. Picked out of dinner bowl and left on floor.
    2. Wrapped in squished cheese? - cheese licked off, pills left on floor.
    3. Drowned in half a carton of yoghurt - clean bowl, pills left in bottom. TWICE
    Had to use the stuff it down her throat approach.
    I swear, last 3-4 times she has been given them it has been increasingly difficult.

Frustrated from Fife, who is thanking her lucky starts she doesn't have to go through this every day!

2. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Giving your dogs medication

Given the lack of problems with the first three tablet types it must be something (taste or smell) about the Drontyl tablets. Could you try upping the stakes from cheese to, say, sardines or roast chicken? Maybe something with a stronger smell/taste is need to overcome the Drontyl.

Touch wood, we don't seem to have any issues with tablets. Eye-drops on the other hand were a complete nightmare - trying to hold a reluctant Harvey's head still while administering eye-drops is about as successful as trying to gently sip a nice single malt whilst riding a bucking bronco! ::)

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ha ha UB. We aren't too bad on the eye drops.
    Sardines are a good idea. Think I will give them a go. Ta.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Jac only last week I gave Hattie & Charlie their Drontal bone shaped ones too, Charlie takes them no problem from my hand on in his food, Hattie is another story. I put Drontal broken up into tiny pieces and mixed them up in her kibble, it took her 30 minutes to eat every piece of kibble individually whilst spitting out the tiny tablet pieces onto the floor, I then shuved them inside her Sardines and she ate round them and dropped them onto the floor again, so down the hatch it was in the end ::) Strange these dogs of ours ;D x

Hattie agrees with you Lilly, Drontal do not taste nice. xx

5. Merla

Merla Registered Users

When Merla had to have antibiotics, my ingenious OH came up with the idea of embedding them inside a mini-sausage and (this is the important bit) making a huge song and dance about the lovely food he had, waving it in front of her nose and finally tossing it in the air so she'd catch it, and it then dispappeared whole!

Our vet gives Millebex wormer though, and apparently they are YUMMY!

I always think even the worst case scenario with a dog is still a million times easier than getting a tablet into a cat! ;D ;D

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Or a duck.

7. Merla

Merla Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=7401.msg102835#msg102835 date=1408427874]
    Or a duck.
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D I can only imagine! There's a mental image!!!

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's impossible to give Tatze eye drops.

She won't be coaxed with any treats and won't be held. She's far to strong for either of us to hold long enough to get drops in.

I resorted to soaking cotton wool in the fluid and wiping her eyes with that.

I felt like we needed a pen like they have for cows!!

??? :eek:

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Eyedrops are a nightmare. I managed to clicker train stay still for ear drops though. Took ages.

Charlie is a pill spitter too - but sardines have never failed yet.

10. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Meg will take them like a treat. Jasper my big old Mal thinks they are poison and poor fella he has more to take as he is 50kg. I crush and make a fish paste sandwich. That works a treat but its take a while to figure that out !!! Oddly my cats are much easier ;)

11. Steph

Steph Registered Users

Holly is in the anti Drontal club too. Will Hoover anything else but not these tablets. Spit out from ham, cheese, soft cheese, chicken, pate. And it's getting more difficult too. Last time I had success with half tablets, covered in a meat paste, wrapped in a ham parcel. I was starting to wonder if it was just a ruse to see how inventive I could get with treats.

12. sussex

sussex Registered Users

get the tablet as far down throat as possible hold the dogs muzzle with fingers round it thumb at front quickly flick your thumb up and over the dogs nose this will make the dog lick his nose and swallow the vet told me this and only once did i have to do it twice but has now worked well milly has had a lot of tablets and this has helped

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thank you!
    Lilly appreciates the support too.
    She was really picky with her breakfast this morning too. Not sure if there was some residual taste in her bowl somehow, or maybe from the floor around the bowl ( food ALWAYS ends up around a bit) or even just if she was suspicious I had added something alien this morning.
    I think a thorough bowl and floor wash is in order.
    Sardines next time.
    and I will remember that trick sussex.
    Will swerve cats and ducks I think ;D

14. Jen

Jen Registered Users

We use milbemax and the chewable ones get gobbled up like sweets.

Scott and Scout so far gave eaten tablets no problem. I stick them to a bit of food with Philadelphia cheese. Wormers I just put in their bowl with food and they go.

Murphy was another story. He was very clever at avoiding eating tablets. I would hide them in a bit of sausage, toss him a few bits with no tablet then the loaded one. If he got a hint there was a tablet in it he would let it drop then let every piece of sausage drop, sniff and only eat those not loaded with tablet. ::)

Too clever these dogs. ;D

15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

You have shamed me! Have no idea when I last wormed Benson...maybe April? Slap on the wrist for me.... :eek:

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

(Well April was more recent than me doing Lilly :eek: )

17. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Best thing ever I find is splitting a Rolo in half and squishing it around the tablet and then back to something Rolo-shaped. Thrown in the air, caught and gone without a trace. It's only a tiny amount of chocolate, not enough to worry about. Works like a charm every time for me. Now the cats, they are something entirely different. One of them is 16 and between me and OH we have yet to tablet him at all. Ever. Never tried tabletting duck though.....

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Good grief our dogs can be ridiculous ::)

Riley is also adept at eating round tablets.....do you think their mothers teach them secretly before they leave home?

Cheese usually works for us, someone suggested pate too.....I reckon mackerel pate might work if we need something extra special :D

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I buy cheap pate to wipe around Millies tablets , seems to go down a treat :)
    At the check out last week , the lady said that the pate looked nice and asked if it was , I wondered why I had a strange look when I replied that it wasnt for us, it was for the dog :)

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Never, ever have I had a problem feeding Poppy a tablet. She even thinks Drontal are niceā€¦ :eek: