Going cageless

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Johnny, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hey all

My boy is 14 months now.

He already does nights without his cage without a problem. However I am slowly trying to train him to stay alone without a cage. I am slowly increasing the time alone without a cage however I still don't trust 100%.

Are there any tricks or suitable times to start the cageless stay?

Thanks

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I started by leaving Harley in the kitchen when I went out to work. I only ever leave her for a max of 4 hours before I go home for a long lunch, or my dog walker takes her out. I found by leaving her with 3 kongs, she would sleep after finishing these until I got home so there weren't any issues. She now has the whole house when I'm at work.

Jes72 likes this.
  3. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Hi we were the opposite we decrated through the day first. If we were going out we would leave him in the Kitchen, we'd check it was deBaxtered and then left him with a frozen kong. First few times we were back before he'd finished the kong then we'd leave him a little longer and usually find him sleeping when we got back. Nightime he has the freedom of the livingroom, hall and kitchen, he can't get upstairs as we put a stair gate up

4. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Meant to say only had one hiccup, on night 14 he decided to eat his bed but since then he's been great :doug: