Going to try a Halti and feeling sad

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Newbie Lab Owner, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I posted reasently on another thread that I didn't want to go down the Halti route but after a lot of deliberation and soul searching, I have today purchased a Halti optifit and lead. This came with a DVD and after watching, I'm not feeling so defeated.
    My one and only reason for choosing to try this is to protect my shoulder that I had extensive surgery on 6 months ago. I had a check up with my surgeon and although really really pleased with my progress, warned me that I must be very careful with my shoulder for ever :eek:
    Until the last month or 6 weeks, I've easily managed Dexter using just my left hand and arm but now that he has reached his adolescence and appears to have lost the plot a tad :( this has started putting too much strain on my left shoulder at times.
    As he is now much bigger and stronger, I'm finding at times I need to use both hands/arms and my repaired shoulder is beginning to suffer :(
    I am DEFINITELY only going to use the Halti as a tool to my continued training and will stop using it once we are both back on track.
    I do feel sad and to be honest upset :(:(:( that I'm having to do this and would rather not but I think I need to protect my shoulder more whilst we both work through this difficult stage together. I'm going to film our progress as often as I can and write updates on this. My aim is to take my time, use lots of positive reinforcement and build up gradually to losing the Halti forever :D
    Firstly I will need to use lots of treats to get it on Dexter so that he accepts the Halti as a positive thing.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Donna, firstly your health and well being must come first so don't get upset, you will be in a far worse situation if you hurt your shoulder and Dexter doesn't get walked, you are just taking precautions. If you are upset with using the halti would you consider a harness? There is lots of information on the forum on harnesses. I personally use a Happy at Heel and I know a few other members do too and with success, Charlie has no problem with it :) I use a harness as Charlie is a tall muscular boy of 32 kilos and I am a tiny, tiny person with a back problem so I use it to protect myself aswell as Charlie. Please don't feel bad. xxx

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  3. Newbie Lab Owner

Hi, I do use a harness and up until recently have managed well. I've worked really hard from day one and had made really good progress with his lead walking. He's taken a few steps backwards of late and is now pulling hard towards other dogs and I'm struggling to get his focus back on me. I was able to do this easily before and actually got him sitting calmly but it's all suddenly gone out of the window. I thought if I could use the Halti to just help me out with this situation, I maybe able to get clicking and treating again instead of needing both hands to restrain him. If I can get out of the way, I do this but it's not always possible. I mostly meet people with there dogs that aren't trying to stop there's getting to mine and it's making it even harder for Dexter to go back to his calmer self. I've started him off in doors with the Halti, once the treats were flowing he started to accept it. My plan is to still have his harness on a use the double ended leash attached to the harness and Halti, I haven't tried this, I had the lead on the Halti and the safety strap attached to his collar. If he does find it stressful, I will stop using it. I'm hoping not to use it for too long just to help kick start him back to where we were. I really don't want to have to stop walking him and just let my OH walk him at 5.30am and 7pm, that would be unbearable for Dexter and me.
    Do you think a Halti is an aversive tool? I'm unsure.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What kind of harness do you use? Well I suppose a Halti is an aversive but maybe a harness is too as they are both used to modify a behaviour.

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

If he doesn't accept the Halti, do have a look at the Happy at Heel harness Helen mentions. It worked wonders for Coco. We have stopped using it now, he started grabbing the lead in his mouth (it's attached to the side), and launching into tug. He found this was a way to get me to drop the lead so he could run around like a loony. Around the same time though, he began to walk more sensibly anyway - whether it was all the work on the Happy at Heel, I don't know.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

If your dog doesn't like it, then it is aversive. As much as we'd like to, we can't get away from all aversives. Sometimes we just have to go with desensitisation. Think of how puppies are when they first have a collar and lead on - most go nuts. So it's a case of desensitising them. Most dogs don't like having their nails trimmed, but it's a necessary evil - so we desensitise them to it. Replace the unpleasant connotations with positive ones.

Yes, the Halti is a mechanical correction, but it doesn't cause the dog pain when used correctly. I don't think most dogs would like the feeling of something on their muzzles, but with the correct introduction, it's possible to make it acceptable.

You know my feelings; I'd far rather use training than corrective tools to get my dogs walking to heel. BUT, your health and wellbeing has to come first, and if that means the best option is to use a Halti, then so be it. You're aware of the methods of training and aren't using the Halti as a crutch, just as a means of getting around until that training is complete. You shouldn't feel bad.

Newbie Lab Owner and Pilatelover like this.
  7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I agree.
    You are using it not as an alternative to a proper solution but as an adjunct.
    Don't worry, but DO look after your shoulder x

snowbunny and Newbie Lab Owner like this.
  8. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

oh Donna I really felt for you after reading your post. Caring for our dogs and looking after our health are both paramount. Try not to worry, take care. X

9. Newbie Lab Owner

Thank you all, I would without a shadow of a doubt want to be able to work through this as I did before but unfortunately my shoulder is not allowing it at this stage and I must agree, I do need my shoulder to remain intact.
    I first introduced Dexter to the Halti in doors, lots of treats and with the removable safety attachment on his collar. This is so that if he were to slip the Halti he would still be attached by his collar. He calmed down pretty quickly and enjoyed some prawns whilst walking round in doors with me. Occasionally trying to get it off.
    Later on I took him to the beach, at a quiet time, a few dogs and owners but no kids running about and the dogs were all rather calm. I popped the Halti on him before leaving the crate, got it all adjusted and gave him some fish4dogs salmon mousse from the sachet.
    If I got the chance I intended to let him have a fun game with the ball and chucker that were in my bag out of sight.
    He was so much better at not pulling and lunging when too excited and I was able to quickly and easily once I began to master where best to hold the lead. I had the Halti attached to the double ended Halti lead and his back ring of his harness, do not need the collar attachment when used like this. He tried a few times to get it off but was easier to get his attention back on me.
    The big advantage was that with the Halti on, other dog owners gave us a wider birth, saying that they didn't want to interrupt our training. I was able to C&T Dexter for calmness, get him to sit and had the opportunity with a few owners and their dogs to ask if we could approach if he stayed calm or let their dogs approach if he remained calm, just so that I could C&T Dexter for the behaviour I wanted. First attention to me for guidance then not pull towards the dogs/people, YAY, we managed this with patience and calmness from Dexter and me.
    We had a lovely walk along the promenade, I could get Dexter to sit when I saw dogs coming and heavily treat him, if he pulled, the pressure went on the harness not the Halti but could gently move his head round to me, as I called him back to a calmer and workable state of mind. It took me a while to get my coordination right so that I didn't pull on the Halti. Once passed all the dog walkers, I was able to give Dexter a game of find your ball off lead but keeping the Halti on him so that he had some free fun wearing it. Out came the chucker and ball, I steadied him with my fingers through his harness after he sat, threw the ball into long grass or let him see it roll off the promenade onto our pebble beach, then release him to 'find it'. He loved it. After a while I got him to walk to heel and put ball and chucker away, going back to the salmon mousse. Then did a bit more with the ball, and took the Halti off.
    I am still going to spend time on my original plan of, sitting and calmly watching, ignoring distraction etc etc in small steps for self control.
    Using the Halti only for when I absolutely need to.
    Feeling more positive and no pulling on my shoulder today :)

snowbunny likes this.
  10. Newbie Lab Owner

I totally agree with all you say and my aim is to ditch this tool ASAP but at Dexter's pace with lots of training and not damaging my shoulder further, during the process.

11. Newbie Lab Owner

Oh, bless you, I must admit I've shed some tears and felt a complete failure until I sorted out my reasons for doing this. Which is to protect my shoulder whist I help Dexter over this tricky patch, in the best way we can. Thinking of both of our needs.

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

you have had a brilliant experience with Dexter & the Halti. Sounds like it will be a really useful tool while your shoulder is bad. Don't rush to dispense of it - you must heal yourself.

13. Newbie Lab Owner

Definitely an alternative solution and not a replacement for consistent positive training.

14. Newbie Lab Owner

I use the perfect fit, which I love but when pressure goes onto his chest he starts to pull harder, when over stimulated. And the front ring didn't help to get his head round to me. It's only been since he's gone into his adolescence stage and I started to struggle again with my shoulder hurting.
    I'm quite impressed today but obviously early days.

15. Newbie Lab Owner

Yes we did but I'm aware it's early days and did push it a bit today, just to see how we coped with it all at the stage we're at now.
    I'll now go back to my previous plan to take this more steadily but with a useful helping hand (the Halti) to help me through. I really do need to think of both our needs for a successful future.

16. bouncer

bouncer Registered Users

I tried a Halti (muzzle type) on Tara, and it was horrendous, and she kept scratching at it. The pet shop happily refunded me, and suggested a Halti two point harness, with double ended lead. The difference in walking Tara was amazing, as it stops any pulling, and you can steer your dog, a bit like riding a horse! Does not completely stop her leaping about, but she is much easier to handle.

17. Newbie Lab Owner

Mine is the two point with the double ended lead. I'll keep trying it and use it to help train through this stage unless he does get distressed by it. Dexter's had a lovely time today and I know he's still got a lot to learn as I have too.

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It sounds like the halti will be a good tool to get you through this stage and that you have already had some success.

I have spinal injuries and can't have Harley pull me at all. Unfortunately I wasn't consistent enough when she was younger in terms if loose lead walking. If we are going around the block or to the local woods I can walk her on the harness. If we go to pets at home she is really good on just collar/lead. But, if we go somewhere new she is horrendous. I use a k9 bridle head collar as recommended by my dog walker and it has really helped me. I do reward and heavily praise any loose lead walking no matter whether she is on harness, collar or head collar. It is really difficult for me as we go to new places and often don't go back for months so difficult to proof. I am more consistent now no matter where we go.
    Personally I see the head collar as an aid that I need to protect myself and will continue to use it for as long as I need, and in all honesty, I think I'm always going to need it, even if it is only occasionally.
    Don't be hard on yourself, you need to protect your health to ensure that you can be there for you dog.

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I use head collars on my two labs because they are very nervous and reactive. The head collar gives me control of their heads if necessary. I think I've tried every design of head collar in my bid to find the perfect one and I've found the best to be the Dogmatic. It's a fixed action headcollar so it doesn't tighten and slacken like the Halti. It's much more comfortable for the dog so it doesn't bother them the same and they seem to accept it much better. If you have any issues with the Halti, although it sounds like Dexter has taken to it well, I'd recommend the Dogmatic. I use the Halti double ended lead with the head collar as well. It's a good way of using a head collar as you can walk using the collar or harness end unless you need to take up the headcollar end. It's also a good way of weaning off the head collar when you feel your shoulder is strong enough.

Bruer and Newbie Lab Owner like this.
  20. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I use a Halti for Wispa because she can be nervous and reactive. I had changed from a Halti to a harness because the Halti gave the impression that she was muzzled, but a recent reaction when she was being walked by a friend has prompted me to use the Halti again. She normally walks beautifully to heel and doesn't need any restraint, but because she can be suddenly spooked (sometimes for no apparent reason), this seems the best solution at the moment, particularly as my grip isn't that strong. I'm hoping that one day she'll stop seeing scary things, imaginary and otherwise!