Goldador pup (7mths) early riser

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Jyn_D, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Jyn_D

Jyn_D Registered Users

Hi

We have a Goldador pup who is 7mths old. She's great really, nailed housetraining within a few weeks and has been out of her crate both during the day when we are out and at night for about 6 weeks or so now. The trouble is, she is an early riser. We make sure that she's been to the toilet in the evening before we go to bed - she's usually on her bed before we go up so we make sure she goes out even though she doesn't want to! She sleeps in the kitchen by the French doors, which don't have blinds or curtains, could the light be waking her? She isn't desperate for the loo in the morning, rather just whines for company - she's up so she expects everyone else to be too. I take her out between 6 and 6.30, any earlier and she is let out in the garden and is left). It's the whining/barking/yelping that is the problem - OH and the kids are starting to wonder why we got her :(

Is there anything I can do to help her sleep a bit later or just not make noise?

(She also jumps up and nips a lot but I'll leave that for another post!)

Thanks

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This will tail off as she matures, especially after her first season.

Once mine are 7 months old I choose a set time to go down to the pup and stick to it (7am) ignoring the pup's shouts. I've never had a a pup have an accident at this age with this method.

And Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Mollie from Manchester UK :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's four years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab who is ten months old.

Three of my pups have been Lab/GRs, they are a great 'breed'.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome. My latest puppy was a bit like this, too. Once you know she can hold her bladder (which she should be able to do at this age), you have to harden your heart and not go to her when she's being noisy. Don't talk to her or shout to her. Just completely ignore her. I know it's hard, but it's the only way for her to learn that shouting doesn't do anything. I know it wakes you up, so you think you might as well get up, but resist and stay in bed until getting up time. The same applies to the rest of your family Be aware it may get worse before it gets better, but it will get better if you're all consistent in not giving her any attention for it.

Good luck!

4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have you tried covering her crate to make it like a den for her to sleep in? Annie (1) still sleeps in her crate, but the door is left open for her. Fred (3)and Annie sleep in the snug, but the curtains are closed.

5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer was like an alarm clock and wanted breakfast at 5:55 every morning, 5 minutes before our actual alarm. Weekdays Hubby would get up, give him breakfast and play with him for 10 minutes or so while having his breakfast. Weekends, I'd get up, give him breakfast, open the back door then go to the sofa with a tea and a blanket and doze. In the last year he's enjoyed a sleep in more and more, and sometimes wont even eat his breakfast until later in the morning.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hmm...my solution was to put a blanket on our bed for morning snuggles.
    Not quite what you were hoping for in an answer?
    Oops. Sorry :D

Welcome to the forum
    Jac

QuinnM15, MF and SwampDonkey like this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

So is your pup out of the crate now at night? Maybe try the crate again with a crate cover just over the top.
    With our latest pup if she was awake before 6am, I would just let her out for a wee, then give her a small kong and pop her back in her crate, when she got to around 6-7months this early rising started to tail off. Now they are all awake between 6 and 6.30am when they are used to being let out and getting ready for their walk :)

8. MF

MF Registered Users

You can try feeding her a small meal at bedtime (in addition to dinner). Theoretically she shouldn't feel hungry to wake up so early. We've been feeding our boy a late meal due to early morning hunger pukes (as per vet's recommendation, we feed less breakfast though so that total daily food allowance is still the same) and the unexpected consequence is he's now sleeping much later! We've all become quite lazy in the mornings now!! But I now need to break the habit for myself due to starting a new job this week - I'll miss those sleep-ins!

9. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

One possible solution is a dog door into the back yard. We have had one for all three of our Labs. If they want to get up they can, though they usually sleep in with us. At our cabin we don't have a fenced yard, so we have to let/take them out, but as they grew up they didn't usually get up before we wanted too.