Golden retriever vs Labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Harley Quinn, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

I have looked this up online but you should all know by now that I love hearing everyone's opinion. So...are they very different (generally speaking) or are they more similar in behaviour than different? Are GR's also such unholy terrors when they are young? Or is that a special surprise just for lab owners?

A GR would not be a consideration for me, I prefer the lab coat and well...just the lab everything.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We had a post on this sometime ago, I think prompted by @Emily_BabbelHund if I recall correctly?
    I think GRs are generally far calmer, to the point of seeming a little characterless to me! They're normal bouncy, boisterous puppies, but seem to age quite quickly. I couldn't deal with the hair! I do think they're gorgeous dogs, though.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Agree re the hair , if you think Labs shed a lot , try a Golden ! They are lovely dogs, my step daughter owns one who is the same age as Sam, but it quite the plodder already .

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I discovered some years ago that GR cannot open their mouths as wide as a Lab, so if you want to hunt Greater Canada Geese it might be a consideration. Their jaws are structured differently.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just as with Labradors, there are two strains of Goldens, the show line and the working line. They are completely different - so much so that you would think they are completely different breeds.

Debs and Stacia like this.
  6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I really really wanted a golden retriever. I always have. I think it stems from watching Homeward Bound as a child and falling in love with Shadow.

When we decided to get a dog I tried to talk OH round but he felt as though they were too bland and would shed far too much so we agreed on a Labrador.

Our neighbour has a golden retriever called Molly, and she's gorgeous! Stanley definitely fancies her, he's always making doe eyes at her through the fence :D

drjs@5 likes this.
  7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

The Golden Retrievers I know are working ones and 'away with the Fairies' very jolly, always happy, always lively. They shed far worse that a Lab. I remember when I worked for the vet, two came in and lay under the washbasin as each was examined, when they left, there was a veritable carpet of hairs and I promised myself then that I would never have a Golden Retriever.

kateincornwall likes this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I asked about this a while ago and got some great responses, particularly from @Boogie who polled her GD friends who have GRs for answers. The thread is here: https://thelabradorforum.com/thread...w-do-they-differ-from-labs.16212/#post-248148

After that thread, I did go out and meet some GRs. I decided they were wonderful dogs, but just not for me. The hair and health issues were the big negatives. Also after 20 years of Rotties, I kind of felt I needed a breed with a little more sass and backtalk, so Labs seemed a better fit. I do think I'd probably like the lower energy nature of a GR over a Lab...that part about Labs is still freaking me out a little! On the other hand, I need the exercise, so bring in on. :D

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They are much gentler than Labs and much harder to train. They are generally not very foodie so other rewards are often needed for training. I adored having Bruce and have asked for a GR boy next. My supervisor said "really, are you sure?"

They are very, very loving - more so than Labs or Lab crosses and really loyal. At puppy class the GRs settle well to all the grooming/handling exercises but are not as easy on the walking and recall or general obedience. The 'vocal' ones in class are always the GR boys.

:)

Plum's mum and kateincornwall like this.
  10. Boris

Boris Registered Users

Boris is a cross lab x GR so best of both breeds or the worst of both. Boris very laid back, so far no signs of aggression to any thing. Grandson climbs all over him and he doesn't move.. He does like all children and thinks every toddler needs a face wash ! Generally obedient. Noisy when playing ball, drops it at your feet and barks. People in town who meet him says he is very well behaved and the lady in the bank said compared to her lab he is quiet.

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I've never owned a GR but at the KC obedience show i went to last autumn there were a fair few in the more advanced classes (A up to championship). Someone I know who has had flatcoats for 30 years now has her name down for a GR puppy specifically with hopes of competing in obedience.
    My sister adopted an adult GR years ago and he was great - a working gundog and an easy pet.
    I think the grooming would put me off.

12. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

This guy definitely is food hungry!

13. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Lots of interesting replies here. I used to mind a friend's GR and she was lovely, chilled, no trouble , none of the lab bounciness now that I think about it but the hair shedding was a big issue. Personally I prefer the look of a lab.

14. Boris

Boris Registered Users

15. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I originally wanted a Golden years ago, but we got a Chocolate from the Humane Society and never looked back. Labs seem to have a lot more personality and a lot less allergies. I guess Goldens shed even more than Labs, though sometimes I wonder if that is possible:rolleyes:.

They do seem to be more popular in the Obedience trials in the US. I've always heard that they were somewhat easier to train, and a little less headstrong. Some of the SAR (Search and Rescue) dog trainers commented that if the dog was on the right track and was called back by the handler, the Lab might ignore the handler, where the Golden would come back even though he was on the right track. At any rate Labs seem to be more common in SAR in the US.

Labs don't shrink when they get wet, and they dry out faster.:)

Beanwood likes this.
  16. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I started out with a GR 38yrs ago. He was a lovely dog from working lines with a gorgeous dark gold coat the likes of which are rarely seen today, it seems an almost white dog has become all the rage. :( He was also much smaller and lighter built than the dogs I see around today. I couldn't fault his temperament, he was a much loved pet and working gundog, regularly going rough shooting with hubby, but my goodness he could shed! I personally wouldn't have another.

17. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I've had 2 GR's, one a family pet when I was going up, in my teenage years, she was a real sweetheart and no trouble in that setting. I think left to her own choice she probably would have been a plod but the other dog at the time was a Gordon Setter, so she never really got the option! The second one was one I took on as a four year old that needed rehoming, so too was placid but sure had bad recall, may be the reason I'm almost obsessive about Cassie's recall. The shedding was horrendous and I wouldn't want another. Temperament wise I'm not sure Cassie is so different yet, but then she seems to be quite laidback.

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Lots of dark coated GR round here, all working ones, lean and fit and very lively :)

19. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

It's nice to know they are still around, I haven't seen a dark gold working bred GR for years!

Stacia likes this.
  20. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'll be honest, there's nothing like being in an obedience class with a GR to make you regret your Labrador ;)

charlie, Emily_BabbelHund and Emily like this.