Gone off food

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by stuart, Jun 15, 2017.

1. stuart

stuart Registered Users

My 13 year Best friend Harvey, has gone of all types of food, he has been put on Tramadol, 1 tab twice a day, this is hard to disguise in the food, tried wrapping in Ham , in the middle cocktail sausages etc,
    now he wont eat anything, tried just meat ,Eggs, but nothing, any suggestions.

2. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry to read this. Will he not eat anything at all, or just if the tablet is hidden it?

I've found that giving tablets works well as follows: feed treat #1. Feed tray #2 with tablet. Feed treat #3 as a chaser quickly after the second treat.

Does he like butter? Peanut butter? Cream? Roast chicken.

Best of luck. It is so heart breaking.

3. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sorry to read that your old boy is not feeling so great

Have you spoken to your vet? I was wondering if the Tramadol is making him feel nauseous has he been on it for long?

Years ago someone told me to put Lea and Perrins on the food and pour boiling water over, the smell of the anchovies gets them to eat. It's worked in the past, might be worth a try.

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

He may not be eating because he is not well, or the Tramadol is upsetting him? I found that some liver pate works a charm for getting tabs down.

5. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My DH pops any tablet medication into Sky's mouth (he is holding her BUT very gently) and then strokes her neck - she has to swallow it. It sounds horrible but he does it in a kind manner and talks very softly to her. She now accepts tablet medication that way.

Jes72, selina27 and Stacia like this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Willow gets her daily meds in a big glob of Greek yoghurt. She slurps it up so quickly, she doesn't even notice it's there.

7. Jes72

Jes72 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I do something similar with Homer. He usually takes his medication well with a blob of peanut butter but sometimes just spits them out. He hates Dontrol (de worming tablet) that needs be brocken up and lots of trickery.

8. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes it's always the worming tablet that requires this approach :rolleyes:

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I used to use pate , smeared all over the tablet , good luck and I hope he improves soon

10. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Squirty cheese works for us. perhaps something smelly like a sardine?

11. Edp

Edp Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, just seen this and wanted to add. My 12 year old Malamute was on this recently. I think it is a great painkiller but the side effects are much more severe in old dogs. He wouldn't eat anything...didn't eat for 3 days after he had it as an injection he just slept....then I think it must have made him feel quite nauseous. It didn't matter how you tried to hide it..he just turned his head. In the end I got him down to a tiny dose that did the trick. I hope Harvey is feeling brighter. It's so hard to know how to manage older dogs. Best wishes Emma.

selina27 likes this.